The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mixed a batch a batch of RO/DI saltwater, 4-5 weeks ago, for water changes in my tanks. I ended up with about an extra 10 gallons. I thought I would use it sooner, so left it circulating w/ aeration; can I still use it?
How long does it take to expire when circulated and aerated?

Thanks!

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
I've done the same thing as you plenty of times but I've only let it sit for 3 weeks. As long as it is clear and has been circulating, and doesn't smell bad, I'd say go for it!

BTW Can your cat eat a whole watermelon?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda smells like a sweaty sock...

in the Rubbermaid garbage tub.:eek:

But me thinks it is just the stagnant air in there, at second wiff, it didn't smell too bad. It is crystal clear too.

As far as the Watermelon, I just took his word on it?

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
Yup, mixed and aerated,,,you should be ok,,as long as no stink,,or funky stuff going on in there,,i would not use ro/di straight after much of a period,,,,,ie: made up let say 55 g 's of ro/di,,,and fergot to add salt for two weeks or along those lines:rolleyes:

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I have kept Salt water for weeks. However I did find that even newly mixed saltwater in a closed clear container can get algae. (Especially if it is near a window). And I would check salinity to make sure it has fallen off (ie evaporation, which shouldn't be an issue but .....why take the chance. ) But to answer your question, I keep a 5 gal jug with saltwater at all times. However make sure you mark it as such...as my wife found out the hard way, it is not good to top off with saltwater.

Ray
My cat can eat your cat.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
with my new job, i have access to super heavy duty high btu broilers. i could grill and eat BOTH of your cats in under 10 minutes. so there. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts