The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what people think of these crabs. We just got two of them. Our LFS says they eat that green bubble type algae (and sure enough, they did!) Don't seem to be causing any harm, except they do crawl around the corals causing them to pull in. They're fun to watch. The coolest thing so far was to watch the crab eat the algae off the back of a snail.

Thoughts, comments?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
good, IMO. yes they do supposedly eat bubble algae, and as a matter of fact, all my bubble algae has disappeared after adding the crabs.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have 3 of them. They've been with me since the first few months. No trouble what so ever. They seem to mind they're own business.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Pink one and a Green one. I think they are cool to watch. I've never witnessed any aggression from them toward anything in my tank.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i like those kind of crabs better than hermits, and i feel they do a better job of cleaning than the hermits too
i have a emerald crab and a sally litefoot crab. both are great and dont bother corals, fish or other inverts.
they grab flake food as it floats by which is pretty funny to watch :funny:
sometimes the emerald runs across the sand, i have no clue why he does this, maybe he missed his bus or something :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
arent emerald crabs, mithrax crabs? or am i mistaken?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have never had any problems with mine, however they can always find something to eat that is not my coral. But keep in mind that most all crabs are oppurtunistic feeders. If they are hungry, they will eat it. Just make sure there is always something for them to forage on.

Just the other end of the spectrum kind of view. Otherwise I think they are great.

Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
I woke up this morning to one of my two emeralds pulling a red hermit out of it's shell and devouring him. I frequently add frozen mysis and pellets but apparently that's not enough protein for him. Any suggestions to save my other 6 hermits?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Confused Korean said:
sometimes the emerald runs across the sand, i have no clue why he does this, maybe he missed his bus or something[ /QUOTE]maybe he saw his ghost, or saw his own reflection:lol:
OMG.. mine did the same thing two days ago.. he was all crazy acting on the aquarium face sort of looking at his own reflection.. over the next 24 hours it was doing that on and off.. even with the lunar lights on. lol

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
john511178 said:
I woke up this morning to one of my two emeralds pulling a red hermit out of it's shell and devouring him. I frequently add frozen mysis and pellets but apparently that's not enough protein for him. Any suggestions to save my other 6 hermits?
It could have been dead already.

I have had many mithrax in the past and have been very cautious about adding on to my new system. They do eat a variety of algae, including bubble, but, I have seen them eat Coraline as well, not a big deal, but I have also seen them eat mushrooms and zoos and pick at other corals in my tanks. I seen one eat pieces off my euphylia. I think as someone mentioned earlier that the key to this is to keep them busy eating other things that are not so hard to eat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts