The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is few things which I just cant understend ,I dont know is problem in me or ...?
First issue-heavy feeding
Why?Besides water quality problems what we actually get?When I compare look of my tanks when I use "heavy feeding" and now when I barrely feed(still more then I need IMO)I dont see any diference in the look or health of my corals.Animals which I try to keep with that food(non photosyntetic)die anyway during heavy feeding.And I dont read anywhere that anyone suceed in keeping nonphotosyntetic corals with heavy feeding,actually any succes what I know is sucess of Peter Wilkens,and he use detritus from the tank (stiring the cc bed)so basicaly he also dont use "heavy feeding".
Second issue-more food-stronger skimmer
This is the advice which I never understend,why not feed the same or less and remove the skimmer?I dont get it,if we start to dose more foods in the tank and in same time mount stronger skimmer,we will have same amount of food in tank when we feed less and had weaker skimmer,right?
Third issue-soft corals,sponges need more food,organic to thrive
Very often I read advice how is good to have "dirty"aquarium for soft corals and sponges and that that invertebrates cant live or prosper in ultra "clean"(sps type)aquarium.But how then they can live in the nature?IMO even the cleanest aquarium have more(much more)organic then nature and if that animals can live and reproduce in nature why they cant in aquarium?

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
blue

read the thread on zoox, we touched on this there.

What you are fighting is phosphates with the heavy feeding, phosphates inhibit calcification. Doesn't bother soft corals that same way, on them it can be like over fertilizing a plant if you're not careful.

Then in what's called SPS, you have several different methods that they use to get what they need to grow and direct feeding in closed systems is usually counter productive.

(More later, Jay and Jeff just left and I'm worn out)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I read something in the zoox thread,problem is that I need aditional 20 years of school to understend half of the posts.
My posts are related with some personal expirience which I get lately with few of my tanks and reading about succes which have some german reefer who use zeovit system.
Some of the their system dont have live rocks nor sand(barre bottom),they feed tanks with their special bacto food-2-3 ml for 250 g daily(almost nothing)-and their sps corals grow very fast and colourations is astonishing.They also use strong skimmer and strong chemical filtrations.
I have tank with my local temperate sea animals(verucosa sponges,axinellae canabina sponges,colonial bryzoan,ascidians,fetaher duster...)mostly nonphotosyntetic animals,in the begining I feed this tank with everything,frozen phyto,home made food,artifical invertebrate food,grounded pellets,nothing help and most of the animals die or start to die.Because of various reason(lack of succes,to many job..)I quit feeding almost completly before about 2 months,I fed only every second day pinch of flakes food for one fish which I had there.Right now loot of animals recover and start to grow what is amazing,that beautifull verucosa yellow sponges,which I try to keep alive last 2 years,start to get yellow colour again and she spread to filter intake and back glass,colonial sydmium bryzoan which vanish before few months grow again from the same place,some feather duster which I think was dead develop new radiole crown.....
And they are not photosyntetic animals.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Your fighting a lot of different things there blue. Mainly the huge misconceptions of what these animals eat and what those levels are in a closed system. The bacterial feeding is a perfect example, it takes very little.
By feeding less, your not clogging up your sponges now.
Bacteria are their primary source of nitrogen in the wild. I'm talking hard corals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts