The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have this happen? Tuesday night I had in my tank a Coral Beauty, healthy it would seem, even saw him eat that night. Wednesday got home from work and planted myself in front of the tank to watch and relax, no CB! Moved all of the rock around, looked in the sump, no clue. Can they be eaten by the crabs this quick? Aliens? Former KGB agents, doing fish-napping?

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
They can be eaten quickly, but they also have a way of jumping out of the tank into the most unlikely spots. I've even caught my dog playing with a trigger that jumped many years ago. It lived, BTW.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hey greg, I had to take a double take there....My very first thought was..

"..wow his dog was playing with a triger that had jumped out years earlier?...how can that be...I mean, what would be left of the fish to play with....."

Then it only got worse for my poor feeble brain I started thinking...

.."and it lived? No, this guys is crazy it couldn't have lived, it had been dry for years...."

hehehe

I had a fresh water pleco...er plecosti....um....plecostimu....er....algae eater that jumped out of my tank one night while I was at work.....it laid on the floor for who knows how long. When I came home I was exhausted from work so I picked it up to put in a trash bag, and it started wiggling. It was completely dry to the touch. I put him back in the tank figuring he would be dead when I woke, but he wasn't and lived another 2 years (he was already 9 years old and 12"+ long)

·
Registered
585 Posts
My coral beauty disappeard too...only I hunted her butt down, tore my tank apart and gave her to my grandson. he has a 55 gallon fish only tank.

I had the fish for almost a year..just a beauty. Suddenly..out of nowhere, she developed a taste for zoo's. In a matter of 2 days, she managed to rip/eat/distroy every zoo in the tank. Didn't touch anything else. Well enough of that. Now my grandson is a happer camper!!

·
Super Moderator
22,416 Posts
You'd be surprised the lengths a fish will go to to foul the water, when it "passes on",,,,;)
or for that matter behind the tank , up against the stand, so you only see /find it when you tear down the tank to upsize it (don't say nay,,,ya know you will,we all have or will )LOL
any land based critters that might have found a jumper,,and disposed of it for you ,,check for fish breath on kitty or fido,,,,(sorry)
i think we all have done that "THAT's where that Damsel/Wrasse/Hawk went!"
if it was still in the tank, it might be wedged in somewhere in the rock,,,,doubt that it got "cleaned " up that soon,and that completely,,,,not to leave a trace,,,,hope you find clues of what happened,,,not knowing is the worst,,,

·
Registered
418 Posts
?

If you get a sudden ammonia spike, it might be a sign that your CB is "no longer with us" Im sorry to hear about that. We love our CB but if we could do over, would have gotten a Flame Angel.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Junkzoo said:
...doubt that it got "cleaned " up that soon,and that completely,,,,not to leave a trace,,,,hope you find clues of what happened,,,not knowing is the worst,,,
We recently lost two tangs, a yellow and a powder blue to one of the starfish in our tank. They basically vanished without a trace and that is the only thing that could have eaten them. We looked all around the tank inside and out. A good cleanup crew can make short work of a dead fish, especially one the size of a Coral Beauty.

Andrew

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
i had that happen to a damsel of mine, he was fine and eating one night, then the next morning, vanished. definitely not behind the tank or stuck in rock either. no ammonia spike. something must have got him, although all i had in there was a clownfish, decorator crab, emerald (small) crab, sally lightfoot crab, and two astrea snails....then the cleanup crew went to work!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
just happend to me with my coral beauty last week. at first many were blaming my poor defenseless green brittle star. but when i moved the tank to the garage to make room for my new stand and tank, i found the beauty on the floor behind the stand :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found him, or what was left of him. Somebody in the tank had a very good meal. Anyway I'll wait a couple of days and probably try another CB, I did like him.

·
Super Moderator
22,416 Posts
Ahhh, mystery solved!;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had two fish vanish in one night, moon wrasse which was a good 6 inches long, and a maroon clown ** poof gone**. Personally I'm sticking to the alien abduction theory.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aliens????

Come on now, everyone knows that aliens don't exist. This is obviously the work of Elvis Presley and Jimmy Hoffa. I've heard they have a new hobby.:eek: :funny:

·
Reefer
86 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times. First with my African Cichlids I used to have, I had a beautiful 5 inch long Electric Blue Cichlid. Poof vanished without a trace. I even moved the whole stand and tank , I never found it, and I didn't have ANY cleanup crew in my FW setup.

This year I have converted both of my tanks to SW. Had a nice 3 inch long yellow Tang. Went on vacation for 3 days, came back and poof again, no Tang. I never found that one either, however I do have a few crabs and a trigger and I haven't moved the tank and stand, so someday I may find that ld poor guy.

Oh yeah I do have a dog so it is possible my dog had a bit of African sushi but she was with me the whole time during the great Tang debacle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts