The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have an 8 gallon nano marine tank that has been set up for about 2 months now. I have 1 pacific cleaner shrimp, 1 turbo snail, 1 pompom crab and a blue neon goby. Parameters are all good the only problem is that my Goby has gone missing and has been since about 4 days ago. I have 2 pieces of live rock in which it could be hiding and read online that they often go missing but this little guy was always out in the open and didn''t miss a feeding. today I decided to take out the live rock in order to find a body but there wasn't one so i promptly put it back in. My pom-pom crab is also in the same situation but he had been hiding from the very start. Is there any way my cleaner shrimp and snail could have eaten the crab and goby in such a small amount of time or were they still in the live rock when I took it out? thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
a cleaner shrimp can make short work out of a small goby if it died, but as far as the crab, there should still be a shell or something left of it if it died.

Sometimes things go missing and then come back months, even years later. in a nano tank I don't think it would be years.

dose your tank have a lid, do you think it could be possible it jumped out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply! There is a lid on the tank but there is a small gap in it however I have looked on the floor around the tank and nothing. i have also checked my filter and the media and no remains. Even after I visually inspected the live rock it is possible they're still in there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

Went to remove a shrimp molt from the tank and found the pom-pom crab eating it. That's one down and one to go. Fish is still missing is there any possibility that the pom-pom may have eaten it?
thanks so much for your help!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
a cleaner shrimp can make short work out of a small goby if it died, but as far as the crab, there should still be a shell or something left of it if it died.

Sometimes things go missing and then come back months, even years later. in a nano tank I don't think it would be years.

dose your tank have a lid, do you think it could be possible it jumped out?
+1 On things dissapearing and reappearing. I have a fighting conch that dissapears in my 36g and shows up again every few months.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
UPDATE:

Went to remove a shrimp molt from the tank and found the pom-pom crab eating it. That's one down and one to go. Fish is still missing is there any possibility that the pom-pom may have eaten it?
thanks so much for your help!!
If the fish died the crab would have eaten it, or at least a chunk of it.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
my goby will disappear for days or even weeks at a time. it could be burrowed in to the sand hiding, or in the rock hiding if its small enough... they can squeeze themselves in pretty small areas... I have a large flat holey rock that I thought rested flat on the bottom glass so there was no space underneath it, but my goby showed me there is a small spot that he can squeeze under...

I came home from a week long vacation that no one was watching my tank and hadn't seen my goby for the past 3 days, last night it reappeared, it had just moved to under a rock further back in the tank from where it normally lives...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts