The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Well with my set-back the last couple days I haven't been able to work on the stand at all. However, I have still made some tank progress.

Those of you that have seen Jays stand will be able to picture this. I bought a 55g tank for a sump, cost me 35 bucks. What I didn't plan for was that the tank was 21" tall. My space under my tanks is only 24" from the bottom of the top support to the top of the bottom shelf (ie the lenth of the actual legs). thats only 3" of clearance to put it in. When I get it into place and pushed to the back of the stand (the 55 is 12" wide, my stand is 24) then I actually have 6" over the sump to get in and out. Im not really crazy about this, but after I get it all put together I will reach in, and simulate how hard it will be to remove the skimmer cup, and prune calepra. I also am curious as to how hard it would be to replace water both during water changes and make-up water. I may have to scrap my phyto culture station and put my top-off back in the cabinet as originally planned. I may just move the phyto station to the bottom and have it next to the 55, as I will still have 24" of room next to the 55. If all else fails I revert back to the rubbermaids and use this 55g filled 1/2 full as a prop tank.

IMPORTANT PURCHASE. I got my MV Ballast ordered last night. Its a DUAL 250w MV ballast, with moguls and cords, prewired. Its in an enclosure very similar to a PFO box. The great part is that I got them for 95 dollars shipped!

That means I am down to just a few pre-water purchases.
1. Plumbing parts (I have 90% of these, as I bought the tank used and he threw in several gate valves, pipe stand, durso...etc.)
2. Skin, hardware and doors for stand.
3. Bulbs (iwaski's)
4. big ol bucket of salt

So I am really not that far away from being able to fill my tank. More than anything just need time to work on the stand.

Ok, lastly as for the stand. I have decided to go with stain. Everything in our living room in the basement is stained, the computer desk, the entertainment center, the foosball table (albiet fake, but its a tornado table so who cares!), even the couch hardware has stain. So paint would just be out of place. That means embarking on a project way over my head, but I will try anyway.

I am going to cap the ends with 1/2" plywood. I may have to buy the good stuff, as I will be staining it. I will buy pine boards and "outline" my opennings with these nicer boards. I will have them cut at HD (sorry but if it means 10 hours sanding or 10 dollars for cutting Ill go with the cutting!). Hopefully this will make them close enough to glue. I will probably drill holes and use dowels for joints, I know I could go stronger, but this is all I have the means to do from home. Ill route the top edge to make it rounded (where it meets the tank). Then ill make a "dig out" of the corners to give them a little character. My saving grace (hopefully) will be the two sets of large double doors on the stand, and the one set of large double doors on the cabinet that will hopefully distract from any imperfections. The canopy will get the same treatment but in smaller piece of wood. These will be my first joint cuts since high school, and my first routing exp ever, so I will buy some cheap stuff to practice on.

Kinda nervous about this part, but im going to try anyway. if it fails, WHITE PAINT IT IS!

Well, thats all from here. I might go out and measure my cuts for the cabinet and canopy, so I can do that tomorrow.

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
we use routers in our cabinet shop as one of the primary tools you would be supprised how user friendly they can become and once ya learn to use one you will just throw away the skill saw
just take it easy and always keep sharp bits and your there

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
sounds good dave. routers really are not hard to use at all. i wanted to rout a lot of the stuff on mine, but my router died about a year ago, and i've been procrastinating getting a new one!

in your case, i would go stain as well. it just needs that extra step to cover edges and what not. you know, there is a lot to be said for simple moulding too. that's how i covered edges on the other two stands i have that are stained.

btw: hd, charges NOTHING for cutting :)

by alot of repsects, you are well ahead of me .. i got all my flip up doors installed today, and bought some brass hinges, with removable pins, so the doors can be easily removed.

but i still need to buy: the main double doors, the door for the cabinet, the base paint and trim paint, a return pump, the acrylic for the sum pand fuge and display overflow, ALL the plumbing, get the three tanks drilled, base rock, live rock, and build a skimmer. all before it comes in the house :(

this might be a close race ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow,
I didn't realize that you were DIYing so much. I still haev some acrylic work for the sump, but after that its just plumbing and stand. I hope to have the entire stand framed this weekend, and maybe go to HD to get the lumber.

We may have a race after all.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.