The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Try using the manage attachments button below to upload from your PC or you can add them to your gallery here on TRT then drag them to your post

·
Retired Wanderer
17,269 Posts
Don't worry about the pictures. I am stuck with thumbnails because the TRT gallery is tossing me to the curb too. :D

Good luck with your tank!

·
Retired Wanderer
17,269 Posts
Can't wait to see pictures :agree:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh thanks for the kind words everyone.

So here is my tank. It's a plain old 10 gallon glass aquarium that I bought from SuperWallyWorld earlier this week (in anticipation of this build-off)

I put a black card backing on it and set it on my counter under a cupboard but I couldn't fit my light in top of it without sitting it directly on the tank there just wasn't enough clearance and that caused the temperature to rise way too much...

I have a Coralife PC fixture but I just love the shimmer and color thrown by this 150w 14,000k Sunpod MH. It's a little large for my tank at 30 inches but it works fine and gives me a lot of options with what I can keep....(more to follow) (gotta make sure my pictures post before I ramble on to long LOL)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I have pictures HAHAHA

So I moved the tank to the end of the breakfast bar where it has unobstructed 360 degree views from the kitchen and Great room, and from the breakfast bar where I sit when I'm on my computer.

I have approx. 11 lbs of LR in there so far. The powerhead (an Aquaclear 50) is way to large but it was all I had available. Next week I'll be swopping it out for a Koralia nano PH. The heater is too large also and again that will be changed this next week for one appropriate for a 10 gallon tank...(more to follow)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This tank is going for total simplicity. I'm running a MH 150w light, a heater and a powerhead and thats it! No skimmer, no fuge, no HOB, no canister, no carbon no nuttin'. I'm going to control everything with LR and religious water changes. The only things coming off the tank are the wires, and I'm going to be trying to think of a way to clean them up too (maybe hide them in a pipe).

And here it is at it's start...my 360 degree view 10...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and here it is with the final rock that I picked up today. I have some great rocks, nice shapes all hand picked, with loads of critters hanging on (worms, pods etc)

I have 3 astrea's, 1 stomatella and 11 Nerite snails.

Last but certainly not least I have to add a HUGE thank you to my local LFS "Oasis" in Redmond, Oregon (hope that's okay) 99% of what's going into this tank will be coming from them. Last summer when we were burgled and my tanks destroyed these guys were so supportive and even donated supplies to get me going again. I couldn't be here without them...they are the best.

Good luck to everyone in this build off. I'm so excited and proud to be one of you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
..one last comment in case anyone was wondering...I know I'm not going to score any points for fancy DIY, tank mods, or sump designs. There's a reason for that. I believe that you can have a successful nano reef on "the basics" and that's what I'm out to prove here (and on top of that I'm a 48 year old mom of two with absolutly NO DIY skills so I have no choice HAHAHA) Easy, cheep (well if "cheep" is possible in saltwater) and achievable for anyone who would love, but just can't, for whatever reason, build, drill, screw, hook, hang or otherwise stick an incredible tank toghether.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I'm liking this. Keep it up. Thanks for the kind words for Oasis too. We try to help wherever possible.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Daniel, thanks. I honor of my favorite LFS I'm naming this tank my "High Desert OASIS". Hey I was in Oasis yesterday...you know when you need just "one more rock" and you have something in mind hehehe. I had John and his daughter looking in every tank for me. Anyhow, I found THE prefect piece...John was reluctant to sell it to me because it had hair algae in it (quite a lot) but I told him not to worry, that I'd sit with a pair of tweezers and my reading glasses and pluck the entire thing in a bucket first....

Here it is, my final piece before adding livestock, I have to figure out how to get my camera's colors correct because it doesn't show the true glory or the coraline and "stuff". Oh and P.S. If that naked clown and misbar are still in when I'm fish ready...boy I sure want them both ;)

·
Retired Wanderer
17,269 Posts
Looks like you are off to a great start!:thumbup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Im excited. Entering this competition is as much for the "threapy" as anything. After my tanks were destroyed last summer I've had a terrible time getting back into the hobby "emotionally" and tiny set backs have really knocked me. I'm now more than ready and even though after looking at everyone elses plans and tanks I probably don't stand a chance...that's okay...I've stopped being a whiner and I'm loving this tank and this competition is giving me incentive to really make this awesome.

Gosh, I'm already loving sitting here at the breakfast bar watching the blue LED's light ripple over the rocks...and that's what it's all about...really loving your hobby ';-)

Oh, I forgot to add that to my equipment list...a blue LED moonlight *grin*

·
Administrator
46,853 Posts
Thanks, I'm excited. Entering this competition is as much for the "therapy" as anything. After my tanks were destroyed last summer I've had a terrible time getting back into the hobby "emotionally" and tiny set backs have really knocked me. I'm now more than ready and even though after looking at everyone else's plans and tanks I probably don't stand a chance...that's okay...I've stopped being a whiner and I'm loving this tank and this competition is giving me incentive to really make this awesome.

Gosh, I'm already loving sitting here at the breakfast bar watching the blue LED's light ripple over the rocks...and that's what it's all about...really loving your hobby ';-)

Oh, I forgot to add that to my equipment list...a blue LED moonlight *grin*
Your Nanos looking good, glad you are able to enjoy the competition without losing sight of why people keep reef tanks in the first place , enjoying the beauty and grace of a little slice of natures most wonderous treat :D

1 - 20 of 306 Posts