The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today i canged about 8 gallons in my 45 gallon tank....................and in the last few days my ammonea went from yellow(0) to neon green (.25-.5 i think it looks more like .25) and my nitrates are like dark red(50).............the rest nitrite, ph, alk they are all good...........

so i am assuming this is a mini cycle but what do i know..................it shouldnt be harmful to the 2 damsels and the yellow tang.........i assume?????????

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
If those readings are accurate I would strongly consider more water changes.

There is nothing wrong with doing water changes every day, or every other day. :)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
you did add more live rock correct?
that would cause another "mini" cycle
which is why i only add all the live rock i need at once, its like playing games with your water
:banana:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
did you use ro/di water? might want to check your new unit, might have something wrong so its letting stuff through.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
leveldrummer said:
did you use ro/di water? might want to check your new unit, might have something wrong so its letting stuff through.

The ro/di isn't going to be the cause of the ammonia and nitrites. Those are from the newly added live rock.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
maybe that should be my new sig
"dont buy rock in spurts"

:lol:

on a better note, i dont think your amonia will get any higher than it did, live rock doesnt cause huge amonia spikes, usually they peak at 0.50 ppm and its done
dont worry too much...do another water change in a few days and that should be fine...but remember if you add more live rock this will happen again

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was actually here the day before i put the live rock in............the culture figi live rock i get is cured.............i only had a problem once because i put figi rock in(regular)

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
ionracing said:
it was actually here the day before i put the live rock in............the culture figi live rock i get is cured.............i only had a problem once because i put figi rock in(regular)
So you've had Ammonia and Nitrite readings the whole time? If so your tank hasn't finished cycling yet. Even with fully cured live rock there will be some die off resulting in a cycle.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no it went to zero for a good 3 weeks then had a slight change on ammonea............when i saw slight a mean 0 on my test strip is yellow the next is neon green.............im at like yellowish neon green.............but the nitrates went nuts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts