The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I have been in the middle of a 480 gallon propagation expansion. Though I'd share with all of you. Basically what I have is 8 40 breeders that I have drilled and set 4" higher than the next. So from the highest point gravity is used to flow down hill to a 100 gal tank before it flows in to a 60 gallon sump.

The 100 gallon has 280 lbs LR ATM and is set about mid ways up in the tank. Above the LR is egg crate where I plan on doing strictly softies and polyps. The other 8, 40 gal breeders will be dedicated to LPS and SPS.

All of this is built in what I like to call my "fish shed". It is just that a 18 ft long by 12 ft wide and 8 ft tall. Going to put some pic's up in a moment and all comments and recommendations are welcome.

I am a handy man some of you have seen the custom stands and what not I do so please keep in mind this is not the first large system I've done.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So all these pics are about a month old. The build has slowed down because I am getting all the lights. They will all be LED.

I am open for suggestion on return pumps. Currently I am running two stone age 900 gph but am only getting about 800 total by the time it gets to the top.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No heat as of now. Ive got down to 28 degrees here (was the coldest I recorded) but I only dipped to 77. No negative affects but this summer I will be cooling. I was hoping to have enough surface evap with cooling fans but 115 degrees is hot. I'm going to try and regulate at about 85 and see what happens. I've got it 6" thick with insulation so I think if I wanted I could get it down to 60 or so, but no need for that.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
No heat as of now. Ive got down to 28 degrees here (was the coldest I recorded) but I only dipped to 77. No negative affects but this summer I will be cooling. I was hoping to have enough surface evap with cooling fans but 115 degrees is hot. I'm going to try and regulate at about 85 and see what happens. I've got it 6" thick with insulation so I think if I wanted I could get it down to 60 or so, but no need for that.
you have that dry desert air right? when I lived out in the mojave we cooled are two story house with a single swamp cooler..

I bet if people still use them these days you can get a used one for cheap, the hotter/drier the air, the colder they get! :thumbup:

plus they cost very little to run compared to a AC unit...

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is very true Nate. I run the cooler usually till middle of June:D then comes the Monsoon and on come the Ac's. But then by September the coolers come back on. Don't have to run heat until, well this year November while everyone else had some snow flurries.:funny:

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
20's your making this desert boy cold just talking about it. Out here it's 50 and were in jackets. LOL!!
ya tell me about it....

I don't mind cold, and I don't mind hot, but can't they just pick one? I don't know whether to leave my AC on or my heater on when I go to bed! :confused:

1 - 20 of 322 Posts