The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 1815 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys I figured I should do this build right. And share with all of you start to finish. I picked up a 240 gallon Rimless tank today. :)

Tank Dimentions are 96"x24"x24" lots of room to play and do much more than I can in my current 75. The contents of the 75 will be going in to the 240, and a 400+ SPS down the road.

It does have a few minor issues. The Prior owner made some Modifications, they are less than perfect.:bawling: But as I said they are Minor. One issue is the cross support on the top has been modified and was done very sloppy. Also there are two seems done in Black silicone and the rest is clear. I will be going Clear all around. Also on the top they have layed a 1" wide strip of glass that covers the length of the Aquarium. This has a 2-3" piece that looks to have been cut at some point or another.

Here is a few pics of the tank in the back of the truck waiting to be unloaded.

IMAG0447.jpg

IMAG0448.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
I will be following, this will be both educational and exciting!

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a link for referance of what will be going in this system.

My Mix 75 3.5 years old Pic's

Also just some detail and plans. It will be A Bare Bottom Reef (BB). I do plan on a bottom of some sort but have not decided what. No sand or cc though. Thinking of actually building a spray bar to strech the entire bottom in a Grid. Kind of like Japonicus but it will be a little differant. Also I will probably pawer it with an external pump @12-1500 gph. Dont want anything settling on the bottom. Just a pain to get to the back and I dont want to break out the ladder every time for water changes.

I also will be getting an additional 140lbs of LR for the structure I have in mind.

Other equip-

x2 MP-60
Skimmer? still unknown.
490wt Bridglux LED
panworld return pump
75gal or 125gal sump/settling tank
some additional external pumps for spray bars, still unknown?

So there the surface has been scratched. Lots to buy and build. Did I mention I have to get a stand together?

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tagging along....:) I like big tanks
Follow away, and feel free to throw in two cents:cool:

this is a glass tank right?

looks like a whole lot of fun!!!!!!!! :D

Yesr it is glass. Going to start stripping some things tomorrow. Long weekend youknow.

Nate, i'm thinking on a mix bottom for this. (I know changing my mind) Do you remember who it was that did the mix with sand and silicone, you know the soup? I like this idea and in theory it will be the same as cutting board or just glass bottom.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice, perhaps we were being a bit overzealous with suggesting you go with the 400. Either way, I bet it's going to be amazing. Looking forward to seeing the progress, Congrats!

Why thank you. I would have liked the 400 this just seemed to be more on the up and up for the time being.:)

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
Sweet!!! I think you made the right call going with the 240 over the 400 (this was a much better price too). IMO glass is always the best option!

Sounds like you plan on breaking the tank down and resealing it??

I will be tagging along and helping with input where I can! I can't wait to get into a house so I can start a thread like this!!!

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I here ya. Having more room is a great thing.:)

I will be resealing the tank. It holds water now but is just sort of sloppy where they tried to do so before. now Idealy I would hope people to look at the reef but my critical fam, and friends would surley go "Mike whats with the different color silicone"...Lol

I know but that what I get to deal with. I say I picked it up for $246 buck and they say Hmmm, should have talked them to $2 even.. Ugh, they say you can pick your friends but not your family/:eek:

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I hear ya on the picking family thing! :funny:

I don't know if I would trust myself to reseal a tank. Maybe after watching you go through the process I might feel more comfortable with the concept in the future.

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Nice tank Mike, You know I'll be tagging along.. :D Another Panworld pump for a closed loop to spray the bottom off would work well. I"d run a hole in the bottom on both sides an run your spraybars and pull water out of the back middle. It would keep the bottom nice and clean and hide all the plumbing well..just and idea.. :) that tank is a beast.. HAHA

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tank is drilled x 4 on the bottom. I plan on using theses for drains to the sump. Still in the thought and planning process but this is an idea being kicked around for sure..

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
I didnt see overflow boxes.. what are you using for those..

Ive saw tank with 2"PVC pipes in the middlie of the bottoms on each end with a 2"-4" reducer fitting that was turned upside dowm.. the guy formed his rockwork all around the pipes on each side to cover them from view and that was his drain.. he cut slits into the reducer fittings and his return came through the rocks in different spots.. It was a neat setup.. all the rockwork in the middle like a bommie that went right to the surface.and a few well disguised nozzles coming out for flow from the center .

It was a very clean look Ill see if I can find some pics of it..

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im not using overflow boxes, I cant stand them. Just 4 drains desighned similar to what you speek of above. The return from the sump will clear the top of the tank and split in to a Spray Bar across the top back of the tank. Ill get a pic of my 75 where I have done the same thing, but it is not fed by return and has dedicated Pumps to power it.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So doing some restoration on the 240 thismorning. The prior owner for some reason glued 3 additional pieces of glass on the support. They stretched from front to back of the tank. Not sure what type of glue they used but it was stuck tight.

I had to get the Angle Grinder out with the Diamond tip blade to score the glass. After doing so I used a small ball pin hammer to fracture the score and take the glass off. After this step it was the old hammer and shissle to remove the stuck glass. It worked well but is time consuming when doing this type of work on glass. To easy chip and crack so the entire process took about an hour.

Any way here are a few pictures of the process.

g2.jpg

g.jpg

g1.jpg

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
sweet Mikeman! Congratulations.
Your roads must be much better than ours. I'd had to rent a truck for that thing

4 drains means at least one is an emergency back up. What size holes in it? Surprised thay look like 1-5/8 for 1" drains/returns.
2 mp 60's WOW!!! I like Ratts folowing of Geoffs idea on the spray bar.
My next one will utilize round loc line nozzles pointed downwards which
gives a mushroomed effect to the dispersion across the bottom, rather than drilling 1/8" holes.

1 - 20 of 1815 Posts