The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn’t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,970 Posts
Hello Mike.....Softies keeper here! Mines a work in progress, it just hit 1 year in July. You've got a seriously gorgeous tank...WOW! Tried sharing pics, but site/computer is having issues....but plenty of pics on my build site...BIG DAY COMING SOONER THAN I THOUGHT. What size tank is that? I'm keeping a 220. Keep those gorgeous pics and stories coming,
Hack

Attachments

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
Great looking tank. I'm in the process of an upgrade and I'll be going predominately soft as well. Could you give some info on the gorgonians and the NPS? Names, maintenance, etc.?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW!!! That is a Gorgeous tank! So much so I actually looked up how to spell the word Gorgeous!!!

I'd love to hear a bit about your system, what lighting and filtration do you use? How big is the tank?

Whiskey
Thank you Whiskey
My tank is 140 gallon peninsula with a total water volume of 210.
I use ATI T5 & led hybrid light.
I also have a 30 gallon settling tank the water drains from the display to the settling tank with a centrical force that drops the detritus to the bottom of the tank.
This makes it much easier for water changes and detritus removal.
I also have a 75 gallon sump that I keep my skimmer in (SRO5000)
Other than that I change 20% water every 2 weeks and dose Ca&Alk threw my Apex.
Ca 460
Alk 8.5
Mag 1400
I know my phosphates are good by checking my glass every 3 to 4 days if I have algae on the glass by then I know I'm good to go ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great looking tank. I'm in the process of an upgrade and I'll be going predominately soft as well. Could you give some info on the gorgonians and the NPS? Names, maintenance, etc.?
Hi Contout
I have a purple gorgonian with purple polyps and a purple gorgonian with tan polyps also some sort of see whip? It is the pink-ish tannish one in the photos. I feed blender mush four times a day and once a week I'll drop in some photo plankton.

·
NorthernIndianaReefer
814 Posts
Wow Mike. Tank looks amazing. Great pictures too. Keep it up

1 - 20 of 32 Posts