The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
$ The Poor Reefer $
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local car part shop and saw a tube of mighty putty (it wasn't the Billy Mayes mighty putty, but same product) it says they're safe to fix leaks on water plumbing, so if that's true, it must be somewhat safe if it can be in direct contact with drinking water.
I was thinking that maybe mighty putty could be something that can be used to create some nice formations out of base rock.
Has anyone done this?? I can't find any real info on how safe it is, does anyone know more about it?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
You can get a 3 stick pack for $10 or pay $7.99 for one stick of "reef putty"
IT IS THE SAME STUFF!

FWIW: Most hardware stores have it in the plumbing section for about $3-$4 per stick. It's called plumbers epoxy putty.

·
$ The Poor Reefer $
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool! Diggler, what brand are you specifically using? Is it that stuff you can use underwater too? Or does it need a dry application?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have both Nutty Putty (Billy version) and Reef Putty on the counter in front of me, they both smell the same, they both feel the same, packaged almost the same..... and they both cure the same in a glass of tank water..... but still don't have the balls to try it...

·
$ The Poor Reefer $
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do it lukel! You can be our Ginnie pig! Hahaha.
I'm def gonna get some and use it when I redo my aquascape!

·
Registered
334 Posts
reviving an old thread here.... but i just used mighty putty (the one with billys picture on it) probably shouldn't have used a whole tube at once (had alot of frags to pin down) but so far the only thing that is pissed off is my MR-3....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts