The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain very simply whether any of these are needed, and if so, how often, for a fish and reef tank with only soft corals (mushrooms, polyps) and a couple of shrimp (in addition to fish and algae critters)?
It's a live rock, live sand setup.

I have gottent so many different stories about each of these (as well as other additives) that it is mind-boggling.

All I want to know is whether I ought to put a teaspoon of any of these in, and, if so, how often...so I can just do it routinely, and enjoy the tank!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I use none of those just Dts and Kalkwaser and strong lights and ro/di water.:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
If I understand this correctly photoplankton is what ya want. Zooplankton seems to have a harder shell and is more suitable for chewers, anemones etc as opposed to filter feeders. My exact science here could be wrong but thats how I see it.

Feeding depending on the laod is suggested by most to be every other day. This is where ya can get 100000000000 and one opinions =) I try to keep the feedings down to avoid pollution.

I feed my guys 2 to 3 times a week, the actual carnivors get fed once a week shrimp fish etc and then I let them suppliment with filter feeding.

The filter feeders also get supplimented with a mush, basically the chopped shrimp and fish liquify I take this liquid and place it directly in the area of the filter feeders. Pumps off so it kinda lingers a bit and gives them a chance to ingest.

Thats my take.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
All of the above mentioned make great algae fertilizer... :D

Actually mushrooms and polyps really don't need any of these products. They are more than capable of getting everything they need directly through photosynthesis and absorbtion of nutrients from the water column and from the left overs from feeding the fish.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do any of the products help the live rock, or miscellaneous other things growing, such as small feather dusters?...or the algae critters, eg, snails, hermits...or the cleaner shrimp?

if so, which product...Microvert, Phytoplex or Zooplex.

if they help those things, maybe use one or another once a week?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
105man said:
do any of the products help the live rock, or miscellaneous other things growing, such as small feather dusters?...or the algae critters, eg, snails, hermits...or the cleaner shrimp?

I dont think so they just help fuel algae growth.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I like Zooplex for my dwarf seahorses and I imagine it would be great for baby fish. I prefer using DT's I guess.

Ray

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
105man said:

Your LR does not need to be fed at all, it's more than capable of sustaining off of the excess nutrients left over from feeding. Most of what the LR concumes are the nutrients that are suspended in the water cpolumn (ie: nitrates, nitrites, ammonia). Also you'll find that the small feather dusters, the algae critters, eg, snails, hermits (these are part of the cleanup crew and you want them to eat the leftovers)...or the cleaner shrimp (also part of the cleanup crew) and such will do the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts