The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
zacharY
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added some saltwater tank putty in my tank to attach some rocks to some other rocks because they weren't very secure. I don't know the putty's brand name (I got the stick from a friend), but it's coralline pink colored. As soon as I put the putty into the tank, the skimmer started churning out microbubbles. From day 1, the skimmer has worked perfectly and has never put out microbubbles like this. It's a bh1000 octopus skimmer. It's on my 29 gallon reef tank. Can microbubbles hurt coral or fish? How long will the microbubble invasion last?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Some things do that. Its usually medication. Ive never had a putty do it though. I would make sure its something thats ment to go in a fish tank. You can adjust the air line some for a few days it should lower the amount of micro bubbles but may reduce the amount of skimming

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the BH90 by reef octopus, it puts out micro bubbles with certain foods, if i go bare armed in the tank, there are a few things that do it with mine.....it will settle down in a day or so im sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've never had my skimmer go crazy over a putty, but have had it go nuts when dosing b4. What I've done when it doesn't settle down in a day or two, is shut is down, pull it out and clean it out, then reinstall, has worked for me every time. I would wait a few days first b4 pulling it out for a cleaning.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Never hurts to clean, I have the same HOB and love it. As mentioned above just keep an eye on it and raise your collection cup higher for a while and when it slows down a bit gradually lower it back to its regular position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.