The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys (and gals) here is my problem,

I just set up my 65 tall about a month ago. The cycling is going pretty well with the live rock. I already have a false clown and a target mandarin in the tank doing good. One thing that I wanted to do this week was get some more water circulatation in the tank. I ordered a Maxi Jet Powerhead 600 hoping to place one in the tank to suffice for all the water flow/oxygenation needs. I got it in the mail yesterday and set it up at the back of the tank. But I am getting an insane amount of microbubbles all around the tank. I have researched and see alot of people having microbubble problem with sumps, and such. But this is just bubbles created by the powerhead. I am not sure if the value of better oxygenated water and flow is better than a problem with micobubbles or not. Any one have any advice/sugestions?

-cb

·
Registered
65 Posts
For the powerhead to be creating micro bubbles (or any kind of bubbles for that matter), there needs to be a source for air. Is the powerhead completely submerged? Are you using the venturi attachment?

Jorge

·
Registered
160 Posts
microbubbles dont help with o2 levels either.

And FWIW, it's WAY WAY too early for a mandarin, you should have waited 3-4 months at a minimum

are you really cycling a tank with a mandarin?

·
Registered
418 Posts
First, WELCOME!!!!

We are glad to have you. Have you been a silent lurker? I'll try to address both problems mentioned. Manderines require an enormous amt. of pods in order to survive. The only way to have enough is to have a very mature tank with tons of live rock. Though your manderine appears to be doing fine(meaning he didnt die instantly), he may be slowly starving to death. Please try to keep a close eye on him. You may even consider returning him or have someone else with an older tank hang on to him for a while.

Microbubbles with your maxijet.....If you have the maxi within Id say 8-10" of where water is falling, then youre going to have microbubbles. It'll suck in one bubble created by falling water and blow it out as a million micros. I have mine way down in my overflow. If my water level drops, and the overflow water has farther to fall, I get micros. So I keep my tank as full as I can to lessen the fall distance, lessening the micros.

Please dont hesitate to ask all the questions you have. We are all here to HELP and support each other.

Attachments

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
First of all, if you only have a Maxi-Jet 600 as the only powerhead, That is only about 106 GPH. Or 160 GPH either way, I wouldnl't think that is enough, not for a 65 gal tank. If it is a maxi jet, you should have gotten a small clear plastic stopper to cover the vent hole. That is what I use. I don't use the air valve or even that line (except for my overflow).
Second of all, a mandarin should not be introduced into a new tank. It should be very, very mature, however most pet stores will neglect to tell you this. Try feeding him enriched brine, enriched mysis shrimp (they have frozen now), plankton Krill, live rotifiers, live "Pods" if you have them, and mine ate Kent's Zooplankton.

<<By the way, I have kept my Mandarin Dragonnette for two years and I lost him this morning. My powerhead return cap fell off and it looks like he was sucked in but the suction. (only his tail was hanging out so I am guessing he saw the hole and went to investigate and got sucked in) I saw him this am.>>

Sorry didn't mean to hijack.

Here is what I would do.
1. Look at getting one or two more powerheads at the least. I would get two more maxijet 900s. They are like 20 bucks on Foster's and Smith and the Hagen brand is on sale right now as a 20th anniversary sale.
(around the 200 to 300 gph range)
2. remove the vent lines. If you have them, odds are that are where the bubbles come it at. If they are removed then air is coming into the intake somehow, either by massive cavitation (which would mean the pump is dying or at the avery least on a bad leg), or air is getting sucked into the pump. PUt caps on the vent lines.
3. Look at some supplemental foods for your mandarin. My mandarin ate:
a. Kent's Zooplankton
b. Live Rotifers
c. Baby BRine Shrimp
d. Enriched Frozen and Live Brine Shrimp
e. Enriched Frozen and Live Mysis Shrimp
f. Flatworms (not all will though)
g. Copepods, ampipods, grammus, mysis shrimp found in established tanks, and refugiums.
h. I have heard of them eating Krill but mine wouldn't touch it.

4. I would start some kind of refugium. You have several options and there are more detailed threads on starting one. Don has an excellent one with just a spare tank and calurpa completely seperate from his main tank. Curtis has a huge one connected to his main sump and his main tank. My son has one inline with both his sump and his maint tank, and I have an internal one. My wife is building an external aquafuge style one. So there are many variations but bottom line is to get some good quality live sand, good quallity calurpa, some water movement and light and you can have colonies of copepods in no time. I have a mysis colonly in one that I run a net through (Justin's tank) every so often and feed seahorses with.
I hope to help and please forgive me if any of this sounds brutal or a flame

Ray

·
Registered
160 Posts
My mandarin eats the folowing

pods

all else is ignored, most are this way unfortunatly

For current in my 75g, which isnt that much larger I use 4 maxijet 1200's on a wavemaker, and a velocity T3 sump return on a seaswirl.

For my 5g I use a maxijet 1200 on a scwd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Powerheads and Mandarin

Within the direct line of the powerhead is the output for my bakpak2 so that may be sucking in the drop bubbles from there, i will rearange a little tonight and see what happens. Also I will try that clear stop cap deal. That may help also.

Also on the Targ. Mandarin, I have TONS of pods when I flip on the light at night. He seems to be healthy, no problems as of right now. I will keep and eye on him though, he is almost as active as the clown. I had a small amonia spike about a week and a half before I put him in, then nitrates are a little higher than .25, but I had a friend say that could be becuase of the combo live rock and small bio filtration on the bakpak, bakpak has alot that it deposits, but the live rock can only take care of its self made nits. Every thing seems pretty good in the tankand with the mandarin, i will keep an eye on him though. I did have a small red/magenta bloom about 2 weeks ago that covered a decent amoutn of the tank, most of it has gone away. Anyone got any advice on the residue?

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I would suck up the cyano algae off of the sand.

I had to train my mandarin to accept the foods I had him eat. Basically I figured out he liked frozen brine, so I mixed in stuff and as I weaned him away got him to eat more nutrious foods. I had him for two years this way.

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts