The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of the best way to get rid of microbubble from a in sump skimmer. I am running an ASM G3 with the Gate Valve mod and its in my sump. I dont have any baffles in the sump (a 20 long), just not enough room. Can I use a sock on my skimmer outlet? Or is there a better recommendation. I have tried a foam pad that runs the width of my sump but doesnt seem to be breaking the microbubbles. Any suggestions.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Are you using an external return pump or submersed ? If external, place a elbow facing down so the pump draws water from the bottom.

Also, if/when you switch to recirculating style where the flow from the skimmer is slower it will also reduce the bubbles.

the orientation of the skimmer I also put it so the output of the skimmer is furthest away from the return pump.

Lastly you can add a vertical baffle so the water has to make an C type curve thus increase the length before the skimmer output reaches the return pump. This is the way I have it in my sump as like you there isn't much distance because of a tight fit. You wouldn't necessarily have to silicone the baffle in, can just be a stand type thing to force the water around it to give the bubbles more time to dissipate.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, it is a submersed pump (Ocean Runner 650gph). I also have the skimmer output right next to the sump, so maybe I should move that as far away as possible. I do plan on doing the recirc mod sometime this summer. I will try the vertical baffle(s). I will probably have to drain the sump though and silicone as many baffles into place as space will allow. Do you use acyrlic? Is there anywhere in particular to find some odds and ends pieces so as to noth having to buy a whole sheet?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I prefer to run the pump external, it reduces the heating the water some. Also, gives you more room in the sump. However, alternatvely you can take the input screen thing off ( you just pinch the ends ) inside is just regular 3/4" PVC fittings. Place an elbow facing down ( also maybe a slight angle away from the skimmer output ) on that and will help some because the bubbles from the skimmer are rising and the return will be sucking water lower.

Just get some scrap acrylic and make basically an L shape and sit the pump onto the bottom of the acrylic to hold it in place. No need to silicone it in or anything. This way the water has to travel around the acrylic to get to the intake thus increasing the distance between your output of the skimmer and the intake of the pump.

The elbow fitting is probably the easiest to try first unless you already have some scrap arcylic handy. If you haven't figured it out by now, working with acrylic is a very nice trade to have to be able to custom build little things that can help alot. Brackets, little baffles, you name it aren't hard to make.

·
No frags for you!
948 Posts
I run filter floss (polyester fiberfill from Jo-Anne Fabric) in between my sump baffles to nearly eliminate the micro-bubbles. It also filters out detius/floating junk as a nice side benefit. Only thing is you should change it regularly to avoid it becoming a nitrate factory and fouling your water. Never had any problems and been running it like that nearly a year.

I posted some pics of it a while back I could find if you like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts