The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to my lfs today and was asking about my tank cycles and how long i could expect to be waiting on it

so he told me that he has used microbacter 7 to cycle his tank and his total cycle only lasted about a week could this be true and if so why arent more ppl using this product?

im consdidering it so if someones done this before or knows someone who has please let me know how it went for them or any advice on this topic

my tank specs:
55 gal
245 watt t5 reef light
about 80pds of LR
and 60 pds of live sand
:idea:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya thats what i thought it was like $25 for a bottle and my lfs guy said they always sell out of it the day they get it in its like the ppl wait for it to get there

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really don't buy into any of that stuff. There is a natural process to go through in cycling a tank. I feel the only way the process is sped up is if a few steps are missed and thats not good. In cycling a tank we only measure ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for the most part but there is alot more going on during that cycle then most of us will ever realize. Nothing good comes to those who rush in this hobby.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not saying i dont agree with not using it from what i can tell all it is, is a bacteria that eats the ammonia etc and thats how it speeds it up still not sure about it

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
does anyone know if this is used how long it has to be used for?
It is a good product and the reason they say it "cycles" a tank 7 days is because of the super saturation quality of the bacteria, however, what is not been told to you by your lfs is that that is only the initial stage of the complete cycle that will take anywhere from up to 5-8 months. I have a mini essay I have written and posted for someone else today. Here it is, maybe you can glean from it;

Tank cycling:
There are some who would tell you that once "the numbers" are all good the cycle is over and you are ready to go, I am not one of those. What many beginner (even some advanced) aquarium keepers are not (fully) aware of is that the full cycle takes at least 6-8 months. The reason being, mainly, is this is the time required to fully cultivate a total beneficial bacterial base and achieve a saturation of such. Also, allowing the tank to "season" and go through the inevitable mini-cycles and diatom blooms and get fully established is the key to a healthy and stable tank in the future. When using live rock and/or sand, the die off will start the cycle. You could have one fish after about the 6 week mark, let the tank get established by light feeding and going through a moderate light cycle (6-8 hours) for the next 3 weeks.At the 2 month mark, A 25% water change of the "total"water volume is in order. After that, add a few clean up critters (crabs and/or snails) and allow the tank to "catch up" to the added load (you may at this time add some live bacteria to help in this process) and give it another 2 weeks doing all your tests on a regular (weekly) basis and determine if the tank is stable. Water changes of 30% should be carried out once a month to once every 5-6 weeks. Coral should not be introduced (even soft) until the tank is around 3-4 months old. Too many beginners don't exercise the proper patience and discipline at this early stage of getting their tank going only to have problems and head aches down the road. Once the tank has gone through this full cycle period and the tank is stable, then and only then, should you add more difficult coral like hard coral. I always employed a bit of advice I got when I was starting out to add bacteria after each water change for the first and subsequent next 4-5 changes. After the 4th water change then and only then add to the tank and minimally at that.
Another good tactic I learned is to add (whatever you are adding) a couple days after a water change. This gives the new creature fresh minerals and trace elements and a good 3-4 weeks (I adhere to 4-5 week intervals between changes) to adjust to the new water parameters, light, temp etc. before disrupting the tank for the next water change.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i see so what ur saying is that it cycles through the 1 st stage enough to were u can start adding a fish or 2 ?
Absolutely. Remember, your choice must be of a real hearty variety i.e Damsel.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya thats what i was thinking maybe like a pair of clowns i cant seem to keep damsels they always fight my other fish and i know clowns are in the same category as damsels i just have never had a problem with clowns

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
ya thats what i was thinking maybe like a pair of clowns i cant seem to keep damsels they always fight my other fish and i know clowns are in the same category as damsels i just have never had a problem with clowns
Just a tid bit of info...Clown fish are Damsels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts