The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to radio shack and bought a 2" micro fan. I already had a 12v adapter. It was an old one used to charge a flashlight. I cut the ending of the fan wire and the ending off the adapter. Wired them together,put caps on the bare wire and plugged it in. Works great. And it is the perfect size for the 2" opening. Temp dropped from 82* to 80* in an hr. Now to get the fan(cooler) and the heater to keep a constant temp. All for less than $18.00!! Im a happy camper:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very cool! (no pun intended) :D

I just added a fan to my custom canopy.

It is an old PC fan that was just laying around. I am happy with the extra evaporative cooling but not so happy with the noise. Sounds like a freaking jet taking off when the lights click on. :(

How is your new fan as far as noise?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sammy33

Love the custom job....too cool;) My tiny little fan really doesnt make much noise. I have a tabletop fountain, this PC and my main 72 with sump all in the same room as the nano. Honostly, dont hear the nano. I'll post my pics tomorrow

·
Registered
637 Posts
I also have one of the Radio Shack 2' micro fans. I like it but after about 4 months it is VERY lound for the first 5 or so mins. it is on. I might have to find another option because it will be in my dorm room in another 2 weeks! But we will see.....

Well, I am out of here. It is island time (going to St. John in the US Virgin Islands!!!!) Lets see what kind of goodies I can come back with!! JUST KIDDING!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Radio Shack fans suck.

Check out this website http://www.orionfans.com they have any configuration of fan out on the market 12v or 120v. Just look up your size, CFM and DB specs. Wtrite down the model number then go to the distributor page to find a local distributor.

They do not cost any more than RS fans and are much quieter (if you choose the correct model). Also I think they have two local distributors in Atlanta.

I have a 3 1/2" 120v fan. 21 cfm at only 19 db --- it has ball bearings and is rated for 60,000 hours of continous operation (thats approx 8 years). The quietest 3" fan from RS was 28 db.

When your tired of your noisy RS fan check them out. I wanted to post this in the begining but you all jumped in quick and went to RS

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sorry Nicole --- by the time I read this thread you had allready gone to RS and seemed happy. At that point I wasn't even going to post but then William started talking about his fan makeing noise on turnon so I figured I should post for future reference.

Charles

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charles...

I went to the Orion site. The smallest I saw was 3". If/when I disassemble my hood and redesign it, I may have to go with your suggestion. There should be a forum/archive for designs for all size hoods. Wish there was!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Re: Charles...

9fishers said:
I went to the Orion site. The smallest I saw was 3".
You must have been looking at the 120v models. The smallest 120v is approx 3".

Check out the 12v models they get really small.

Also for anyone buying fans --- try and get ball bearings and not sleeve bearings.

Ball bearings last approx 60,000 hours
Sleeve bearings last approx 30,000 hours

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okie,Dokie......I'll check it out. By the way, you jinxed my fan. It started making noises today. Bummer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.