The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt put bubble traps in when i put together my sump, is there anyway to stop the micro bubbles? will filter floss work?

Also I have my lights about 5in off the water, my water stay plenty cool. during the day without a fan they stay at 82, with a fan 79. Is that too close? I lost some acros last night, and its either that did it, or the fact that I left the fan on all night and the water got down to 73.

Also this morning I went to go stick my hand in the RODI bucket and for some reason when I touched the water it shocked crap out of me. Like you could hear the pop. It did it like 3 times. Do the filters in Rodi units cause any electricty? Or was this some fluke to top off the fact that I lost a bunch of corals?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Not sure on the shock deal but

You can use a filter bag (like for carbon) to stop micro bubles. I put one over the little plastic filter deal that came with my mag 9. Worked like a champ but it will slow your flow and you need to clean it once a week or it will cause flood problems......

·
Registered
474 Posts
If your RO/DI has an electrical meter or your have an electrical float switch, that could cause the shock. But there is not anything inherent in the RO/DI that would cause a shock.

If you don't have any electrical tied to your RO/DI then you likely have a line in your house grounding to your water line. I had an electrician in a few months ago and he pointed out that I had my house electrical system grounded to my plumbing downstream of the water heater. He told me that the heater would insulate the line and could cause a potential on the copper tubing in the house. He instructed me to put a jumper around my water heater from the outlet pipe to the inlet pipe to allow any current to go to ground. The jumpers and copper wire cost me about $5 at Home Depot. This may not be your problem, but it is at least something to look for.

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
You need to provide more details on your setup, How the top off is configured, what kind of float switches your using and pump type and location...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use filter floss to make a little wall between my skimmer and the return pump in my sump (only a 10 gallon tank) and it works great at stopping micro bubbles.

On the shock, the plastic bucket might have been the source. If you had the charge and it discharged into the bucket, that could account for the charge and the fact that it could happen multiple times. The cool weather we've had recently would increase that like in winter.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they were under 400 watt MHs at CB. Its not a huge deal, Not all of them died, just some. Ill live. i figured that I would lose a couple since this is my first attempt at sps. they warned me about getting acros to start out too. But I was dead set on it. My waste... But the set up is just the RODI hooked up to a rubbermaid, there is no top off or anything. I think its the grounding wire. They have been coming in and out doing work in my townhouse so next time there in ill say something to them..

·
Registered
274 Posts
sorry bout ur lost Pillz, dat rly sux
at least now you know to take more precaution with things, and dont get too excited about things or it can really mess you up

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
For your lights I was advised about 8" off the water for your lights. That will also cut down on the temp during the day. I just hung my MH150 and my temp did not go above 79 deg today and I was shocked about that and very happy.

·
Banned
144 Posts
This is going to get me banned but at this point i don't care so here it goes. Its not a huge deal, I just killed a few, anybody know where I can get a few more to try my luck ? Your type are the worst kind of hobbyists out there. You think just because its your dollar it can be spent the way you see fit. Let a group like P.E.T.A. or a few others get a hold of a comment like that and they will try and shut down all types of our hobby captive bred or not. Like the saying goes how about a nice big cup of shut the ____ up

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the corals were in great condition, or atleast had a good chance of survival when I bought them I would think that you were right, but seeing as how I bought them out of the bargin bin at cap bay, and they were half bleached then, It was more of a are you lucky thing then a my tank isnt right thing.. but yea whatever you say...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts