The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hooked up a new tank/system and of course there are a ton of microbubbles being dumped into my sump, which are getting pumped back into the tank. I'm using a CoralLife needlewheel skimmer that has a "bubble diffuser" on the output tube. The skimmer is between the mechanical filter pad and the sump return. So...the skimmer return tube goes through the skimmer's bubble diffuser, into the sump, then through ANOTHER bubble diffuser pad and into the third (return) chamber. The skimmer is still breaking in, which I'm thinking may be contributing to the problem. But if it doesn't resolve in a couple days, I'm looking for possible solutions..
I have one, which which would involve running the return tube back over the first (mechanical filter) stage of the filter.... but am looking for other solutions as well. Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

I had the exact same problem and I have the same protein skimmer as well. The first few days the skimmer was spitting out bubbles all over the place and the bubble diffuser did absolutely nothing. Now that it has been running for a few days the bubbles spilling into the sump is just about gone. Is the skimmer the only thing producing bubbles or is the water from the overflow creating bubbles as well? Post some pics and everyone will help. BTW, I would just remove the bubble diffuser, it didn't do anything for me and seemed like it would just be another thing to clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. I'll have to get some pics posted, but am pretty sure all the bubbles are from skimmer. The tank is drilled and the wet/dry intake tube has a bubble diffusing chamber (supposedly) also.... I'm thinking it's just the newness of the skimmer... And I thought the same thing about the bubble diffusing box- remove it.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Just let it break in that is normal for a needle wheel SS im running 2 in my 20 gallon sump for my 75 gallon a 125 SS in the center chamber and a 65 SS in the third chamber, with no bubbles in the main tank.<TABLE class=albumContainer><TBODY><TR><TD class=albumThumbContainer>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=albumInfo colSpan=2>Dual Skimmers
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Brent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts