The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am thinking about switching over from 260w pc lighting, to 2x250 MH on my 75gal, so I can keep some SPS corals. Some questions that I have are, what is the difference between the HID bulbs compared to HQI? Also I will be making my own canopy and need to know how high off the top the lights need to be? Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
HID= High Intensity Discharge
HQI= A type of HID lightning, other example of HID lightning is Xenon used on many top of the line cars

HQI is a type of Metal Halide bulb which is double ended and put out more PAR(photosynthetic avaliable radiation) than regular Metal Halide bulbs that are called single ended bulbs and look similar to a regular incandescent bulb.

Both types of Metal Halide bulbs are in the HID category.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is one better than the other? and was does "bump" mean? I see it from time to time on here.

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Mogul are the type that screw in. And HQI are the double ended. They both give the same par ratings. I prefer the HQI as do most MH people around that I associate with. I run 2-400w HQI on my 90.

I had a par rating at the bottom of my tank(24" away) of 290 and the top at 670. Basically, Anything can grow at those ratings. And Does!!

Either one works. I would stir you towards HQI because they are more compact, sleaker, and easier to work with. A 250 or 400 mogul is huge and the housing it needs to sit in isa even BIGGER!

Todd

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tank is 20 inches deep. Do you think a chiller is all that important? I live in a pretty cold climate. If I were to turn my heater off, my tank would drop to 65 degrees. My house is AC so don't think that I would be that concerned for the summer.

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
You know your area better than me. I would invest in one. I live in Atlanta. It 40 degrees right now. When my lights go on the tank gets to 80 at night it drops to 78 degrees. It not so much the temp you live in. It the Metal Halide lamp. You are going to get that tank to easily hit 84 or MORE when you run the MH's. I keep my tank at 78 to 80 100% of the time.

It's your call but the $ going into the tank, all your corals, and plus 84 degree H2O, I would not even consider not getting one. You can pick them up for as low as $300 just depends on tank size. I run a Current USA 1/10 hp on my 90 with a 20 gallon sump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have a 75g and use sunlight supply reef optix III's 250watt hqi
pendant lights with a magnetic dual ballast. I am very happy with them. I previously had a 55g tank with mogul single ended bulbs. The double ended units seem to run a little cooler and are brighter with absolutely no flickering. I have a small fan which I bought at office max on the outside of each one of the two. One blowing in and one blowing out. The canopy is vented. I also have another fan blowing diagonally across the entire canopy. My temperature never goes over 79 and I don't have a chiller or plan to ever need one. I also run two 96watt pc's. I couldn't imagine having a reef without these metal halides they rock:jester: Shawn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks every one for your help. I think that i have decided on 2x250 hqi with 2 pc actinics. Probably 65w.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts