The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I like to drop in every month or so with a question or two.:rolleyes: I have recently moved, not an enjoyable experience, but the tank was moved with minimal losses. It is now time for me to replace my MH bulbs, and I need some reflectors and am thinking about new ballasts as well. My question is this, when I get all this new stuff, I am thinking about getting 250 watt ballasts and lights and downgrading from the two 400 watters. Heat is one issue, but I have handled that well so far. I want to be able to have a mix of softies and hard corals together, which is what I have now, but there really isn't a whole lot of growth, except for the xenia! I was wondering if maybe two 400 watt lights was too much for what I am doing? I have bleached a few corals, but that was my fault. I am really just looking for opinions on what would be best for my setup. I only have one clam, and it seems to be doing fine. I have a 110 gallon tank, 160 lbs of live rock, 300 watts vho and 800 watts of MH. The tank dimensions are 48"L 18"w 30"T and a 5 inch dsb.
Thanks for any input!
Alan:D

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
What K watts were you using? If think about the best lights are 10K and I think 400 watt is the best for growing stuff in the 10K bulbs. We currently use 250watt 65K bulbs with a LOT of actinic support.

You probably could get away with 250W 10 K.

HTH
Jon

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have 2 10k, but they were a bargain brand, and turned yellow after about 4 months or so. I will probably stick with the 400 watters and get some good 10k lights. I still would like to get new ballasts even if I stay with 400w. I just wanted some feedback. I was worried about too much light, but I guess in comparison to natural sunlight on the reef it probably isn't that much.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.