The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to throw something out there to see what opinions might pop up and to see if maybe someone has tried this:

After moving from a 75 to a 125 and upgrading my lighting from PC to a Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12113&Ntt=coralife&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004+1033 I obviously got a bit of a heat issue. The lighting is great! With the 72" fixture I have 3 250W bulbs.

I was running the Actinics for 12 hours, MH for 6 and the lunars for 4 hours. I was using the stands that came with it and it placed the fixture 5 inches above the water. Temps would rise about 10 degrees over the course of that light cycle. I bought the suspension hardware and that helped by only getting the temp to rise about 7 or 8 degrees as oppossed to the previous 10.

One of the other threads mentioned about the lighting simulating Noon time sun. Obviouly it is not noon all the time. Has anyone staggered their MH lighting to simulate the sun going over the tank? Noon being all lights on.

For instance having the Actinics all come on at once, the a couple of hours pass and have one MH on one end come on for a while and then the middle MH come on for a while (with the other MH still on) then the last MH come on (with the others) and then have the first MH go off for a while and then the middle goes off and the the last MH and finally the Actinics go off.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Thats not at all unheard of. shouldnt be a problem at all! You can even cut down the overall time of the MH a bit too. If the heat is still and issue, get a small fan to blow on the sump and put it on a timer to come on just after the MH amd it will drop a few more degrees by way of avaporation. This will increase your need for top off of fresh water though.

Robert

·
Registered
711 Posts
Heard the idea before, but never seen anyone try it.
Usually the halides should be 8-12" off the water. If you're still having heat issues with that, put a fan blowing across the water to help cool it down.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually already running a fan on the surface and two ceiling fans in the room. The last few days have been hot but the nights have been in the mid to upper 60s. We have been leaving the windows open after the temp outside drops (helps get the temp down to around 78 and gets the PH up) Thread was more to get opinions on the MH lighting cycle idea. I may try this just to see what effect it has on the water. I'll keep everyone up to speed on what occurs.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the schedule I worked out:

Light Cycle
10 AM – Actinics ON
2:30 PM – Left MH ON
3:30 PM – Middle MH ON
5 PM – Right MH ON
6 PM – Left MH OFF
7:30 PM – Middle MH OFF
8:30 PM – Right MH OFF
10 PM – Actinics OFF
10 PM – Lunar Lights ON
2 AM – Lunar Lights OFF

Timer Programming
Actinics – 10 AM to 10 PM
MH Left – 2:30 PM to 6 PM
MH Middle – 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM
MH Right – 5 PM to 8:30 PM<O:p</O:p
Lunar LEDs – 10 PM to 2 AM

Does anyone see any problems with this?

This gives everything 3 and a half to 4 hours of direct MH light with an additional hour and a half of adjacent MH light.

I also came up with this alternate schedule that gives light a little longer:

10:15 AM – Actinics ON
Noon – Left MH ON
2 PM – Middle MH ON
4 PM – Right MH ON
6 PM – Left MH OFF
8 PM – Middle MH OFF
10 PM – Right MH OFF
10:15 PM – Actinics OFF
10:15 PM – Lunar Lights ON
2 AM – Lunar Lights OFF

Timer Programming
Actinics – 10:15 AM to 10:15 PM
MH Left – 2 PM to 6 PM
MH Middle – 2 PM to 8 PM
MH Right – 4 PM to 10 PM
Lunar LEDs – 10:15 PM to 2 AM

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can you control the MH independently? To combat my heat issue, I turn the actinics off for most of the day. They do come back on for an hour or so every few hours but I actually think the actinics generate more heat than the MH in my Outer Orbit light fixture.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My fixture has 4 Actinics that are on one switch, 4 LEDs that are on one switch and 3 MH that are each on their own switch. I haven't tried turning off my Actinics through the day while the MH are on, but they don't seem to generate much heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts