The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65g and I'm going to be getting a lighting system with PC's and MH's with a total of 480w. That comes to about 7.4 watts a gallon. The PC's and and MH's have seperate plug-ins/outlets if I could put them on a timer and have the MH's running 8 hours and turn the PC's on for just a couple of hours to mimic afternoon sunlight. In my opinion I think that a full reef tank can handle this amount of lighting but maybe just not for too long. I need a secound opinion on this one.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You might also want to look into getting a chiller for your system. 408 watts is alot of heat.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll down-grade to the 305w system, thats about 4.6 watts per-gallon. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a chiller. I think by that move I can save 500 dollars easy. But if you guys think that I'll really need to get a chiller and it would be too much then I'm really leaning torwards the 305w stystem then. Thanks!

-Deuter:read:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the higher light. most reefs love high light. Especially clams and sps. you should be fine. are you putting it in a canopy or free standing? with a canopy, you may have heat issues.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan on having every type of coral in my tank even clams. I'm worried about the softer corals and I'm worried about having to buy a chiller later on because the water will get too warm. It will be in a canopy but the system has a built in fan on each side and I'll put more fans inside the canopy to get a good air current going. Please everyone give me more input on this, should I go with the more light (480) or with less (305).

-Deuter:read:

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Are you going to run 2 MH's? The 65G hasa center brace IIRC. I have a 58G and I run a single PFO 250W HQI pendant and 2 95W VHO Actinics in my canopy. I use clip on fans in the canopy plus the room airconditioner to keep it cool in the summer.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Well I should be fine then if you can run a 58 with 430w. But I never thought about that center brace! It will only be about 3 inches from the center brace. Maybe I can rap some kind of heat reflection like aluminum. Now the tables has changed a bit any ideas on this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts