The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking to eventually do a nano with some sps, clams, lps of small varieties, mushrooms, xenia..all that then a 5g frag tank to frag all said corals. sps will be the last added item. but any way, what would be a good clamp on MH light? i have a custom PC hood im going to mod to fit the MH light with the actinic PC's. im looking at the JBJ K-2. now is 150w totally necessary? or will the 70w suffice? they come with 14,000k double-end bulbs.
idea, opinions, suggestion or reviews of said items more then welcome :thumbup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very true, very true. it has a remote ballast but im sure you've come across specs or at least seen one. the hood is a wood frame mod made for a 5g pico with 2 dissected coralife 9w. PC mini lights. i was going to gut it and make an aluminum hood with built in fans and an open cut out the size of the light so the mh has a hole to shine through to the tank but not be confined in side the hood where it can build up heat. the joys of being a metal fab/welder :)

but for cost purpose a t-5 is always good, i had the aquaticlife 6x39 with lunar leds set up for my other tank. worked great and i was able to do SPS with it.

but what do you think with that idea?

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
but what do you think with that idea?
Better for sure, but I still think it's overkill. MH are not the best lights out there, T5HO and LED are both newer technologies that give greater light output for less engergy consumption and heat output. I run them on both of my current tanks and I can grow anything.

Modern LEDs are now affordable and not only do they produce little heat, they can be color modified, dimmed, and have a bulb life of 10 years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah, i like your point of view there, this is something i didn't consider before, but very good points. any suggestions on H.O.'s or LED fixtures? i wouldnt really know where to look or what would be a decent size type style for a 10g nano. thanks for all the great advice thus far though. i knew i joined TRT for a reason :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts