The Reef Tank banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had found a really good deal on a 250w MH pendant, so I went ahead and got it (wanted to upgrade on the current tank with something that would move to a larger tank later). However the ballast is underpowered, drawing 168w on average with a peak at 174w. I can return it today or tomorrow for a refund, and am leaning toward returning it and getting a fishneedit 250w MH pendant. If I kept it, it still would be a good deal for a 150w MH. If I kept it, would the underpowered ballast hurt anything (shorten bulb life, not light the correct spectrum, etc...), and am I really going to see a big difference between 150w and 250w on a 24" deep tank.

In all honesty the only reason I would keep it at this point is so my critters don't have to go without MH for another 3-5 days... probably not a good enough reason since they have been under my t5's for months now and nothing is dying...

So my next question would be, if I get the fishneedit pendant I have a choice of a 10k or 20k bulb. The MH I have now is a 14k bulb, and It's not bad, a little white but I can fix that with the right T5's. From what I understand the 20k is going to be more blue, and the 10k more white? Also from what I had read, the 10k is really what will stimulate coral growth, and 20k will bring out colors better. In a perfect world I'd like both, but given a trade-off, I'm inclined to do what the corals will like more than what I think is more pleasing to my eye. In short, help me decide between the 10k and 20k for the new fixture :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts