The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I had a large amount of hair algae in my 65 gal tank and the lfs suggested I get about 5 turbo snails to clean up the tank. well they did an excellent job of cleaning the tank. What do I feed them now that there is very little algae for them to eat? Is five too many?

Ive been at this for a little over a month, I took over a red sea max 250 that someone had given me.

Reading through this site has really helped me a lot, thanks for your assistance.

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
Because of this issue I do not keep Mexican turbos. Now that they have eaten your algae they become livestock that needs to be fed so instead of helping they are actually adding nutrients into the tank!

They will eat sheet algae that you buy at the local fish store. it works well if you wrap it around a rock with a loose rubber band and let it sink to the bottom where they can easily get to it.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Couldn't you just return a few to the LFS? Balance out the equation?

I'm not dealing with an algae problem in my tank now, but for $1.49 a piece, I'll sacrifice a few to keep the tank spotless. If they starve to death, so be it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts