The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Most peoples first true favorite bands where the Beatles, the Beach Boys, etc.

Mine was Metallica. They introduced me to a wide range of music (including the Beach Boys, etc. :D ) and will always be my first favorites. With the approaching release of their newest effort, St. Anger, I am enthused to learn that the band members claim it to be their fastest and hardest release since the Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets era. I hope this is true, because up front: Load and ReLoad really stunk.

Their new bassist, Robert Trujillo, is amazing, and pending his addition to the band, their claims of the new album's quality, and the sound clips I have heard (legally) actually have me excited and looking forward to the June 10th release date.

I also saw the video (and therefore heard the cut version of the song for the first time) today, and frankly I am blown away by the power. The track has irressistable, catching groove that does not irritate, the chorus is hell-paced with the drums clocking 198 bpm on a metronome, and the hardcore-reminiscent breakdowns are coherent and well placed. You can almost see the smoke rising from the bass drum heads during the extended double-kicking tantrums which frequent the track.

I hear quite a few people complaining already that the track doesn't sound like Metallica, or they are disappointed that it differs from material born in the Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets era. Personally, I feel that progression is the key to happiness, at least in the art I do. Look at Sepultura; Roots and Beneath the Remains sound nothing alike: the progression is astonishing and pratical. Yet, both albums are amazing. Why can't the same thing happen for Metallica?

Too bad I'll be 200 miles offshore the day it comes out. :(

·
Registered
537 Posts
Too bad I'll be 200 miles offshore the day it comes out.
Being the nice guy I am, I wouldn't mind taking your place out there so ya can get the new Metallica CD. Just trying to help ya out.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heheh. Good to know who your real friends are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will be honest, I heard the new track St. Anger. And I thought it was crap. It started out really heavy and I thought, cool, then it fell on its face when Hetfield started singing. I thought, geez this is horrible. My only hope is that they released the worst track on the album first as some kind of joke.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, do you have any explanations to support your opinion?
Why do you think Hetfield's singing was so horrible? It sounds higher pitched then it has been on the past handful of albums, which is a return to the singing style of Kill em' All and Ride the Lightning.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
well the style has to change. i mean he's like what, 80 years old now?

the same happened with aerosmith, their style is changing now that tyler is sober and like 90 years old. i mean heck, tyler is so old now, he farts dust.

but anyway, back to metallica, i heard the new track. i like it. i'm not a die hard fan of any band, and couldnt probably name 5 metallica songs, outside of enter sandman, return sandman or whatever that cut was called. my favorite was the album with the symphony.

i like their progression, and i think true metallica fans will as well.

my uncle is so die hard, his first tattoo is the metallica logo on his bicep. matter of fact he's so die hard, that i told him i had the new single and would burn it for him, his first question was "did you get it off the net" and i said yep. he passed. refuses to listen to it, because metallica doesnt support music downloading!

but yet, he has had me burn him cd's of everything from eminem to harry chapin, but wont listen to a burned metallica cd :funny:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I agree with you galleon. I saw them on every tour up to the "Black" album. Couldn't bring myself to go after that. I think the new vibe is great and I think that Robert is a very welcome addition to the line up. I think the boys have resurrected the old Metal Up Your [email protected]@!!! June 10 can't get here fast enough!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heh, do you have any explanations to support your opinion?
Why would I need a explanation? It is a opinion isnt it? I have heard the song 3 times now and keep hoping it will grow on me. It has not. I am a avid metal fan. And unfortunatly, it is kind of a put down to compare that song to anything that came off of "Ride the Lightning", maybe "Kill em' All". The band said they were going back to the style of "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets", which in my opinion really insults the metal fan. "Master of Puppets" is the holy grail of their albums, and "St. Anger" is no where near as intricate as any thing on Master. However I respect all of your opinions. I was just shocked to hear of anyone who liked it. So far all my freinds have shared the same sediments as me, and both popular rock stations in STL have already conveyed their discust for the new cut. However, I believe anyone who puts money into music is alright with me, so if you like it, go out and buy the CD on June 10th. I wont even waist my time downloading it.:D

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Why would I need a explanation? It is a opinion isnt it? "

Hmm... I usually have some kind of logic and reasoning behind my opinion

"I am a avid metal fan. "

More than likely what you and I consider metal differs highly. I grew up in the hardcore scene and was always exposed to metal musicians with real talent, emotion and drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a fan of Megadeth, In Flames, Carcass, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Maiden, Flaw, Corrosion, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Broke, Tryptophane, Sepultura, Soulfly,Hatebreed,Pantera, Zakk Wylde, Black Label Society,Slayer, Dead Horse, Entomed.......Need I say more.

And for my explanation, I gave you one, in my last post.
Chances are, I grew up listening to the same metal you did.
You opinion is just fine with me. I explained why I didnt like it, is that not what you wanted. I used logic and reasoning in my explination.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"And for my explanation, I gave you one, in my last post."

Relax, I didn't say you didn't. I just gave you an answer to the question you posed, rhetorical or not.

"Chances are, I grew up listening to the same metal you did."

Not really, if your list anything to measure by.

Sepultura (yes, that was on your list, however, everything post- Against, which Jason Newstead participated in, has been going quickly downinhill; what I've heard from their newest release-to-be, Roorback, they've progressed to plastic, prepackaged nu-metal with hardcore vocals), God Forbid, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Madball, diecast, Chaotic Impulse, Eighteen Visions, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Berzerker, E-Town Concrete, Glassjaw, Strife, Atreyu, Unearth, Shai Hulud, Zao, Ratos de Pureo, Nailbomb, Poison the Well, Nothingface, Strapping Young Lad, In Flames, Soilwork.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sepultura (yes, that was on your list, however, everything post- Against, which Jason Newstead participated in, has been going quickly downinhill; what I've heard from their newest release-to-be, Roorback, they've progressed to plastic, prepackaged nu-metal with hardcore vocals), God Forbid, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Madball, diecast, Chaotic Impulse, Eighteen Visions, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Berzerker, E-Town Concrete, Glassjaw, Strife, Atreyu, Unearth, Shai Hulud, Zao, Ratos de Pureo, Nailbomb, Poison the Well, Nothingface, Strapping Young Lad, In Flames, Soilwork.
Ok, we have not listened to the exact bands. But I will comment on some of the bands that I have listened to on your list.

Sepultura (anything that involves Max Cavalera) including Nailbomb and Soulfly totally rules!
New Sepultura sucks.
In Flames Rules! If you like them check out Carcass.
Fear Factory, I like some of there stuff (in fact I have all of there cds) only problem with them is they is they have a very plastic sound also. Lots of sound effects and not enough instruments. However I can enjoy listening to them.
Everything I have heard by Shadows fall rules.
I enjoy some mesuggah.

One thing I noticed is most of what you mentioned is not from the early roots of metal. I have no problem with that though, I am fan of new metal bands such as Slipknot and Soulfly. I just took it as you accually grew up in the early days of metal, such as Black Sabbath to Slayer.

Also looking at your list I cant figure out where Metallica fits. Most people who got into the Death metal and hardcore stuff have laughed at every think post black album.

I will have to check a few more of the bands on your list.:beer: Cheers bud.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Also looking at your list I cant figure out where Metallica fits. Most people who got into the Death metal and hardcore stuff have laughed at every think post black album."

As have I. I think Black, Load and Load were horrid.

"One thing I noticed is most of what you mentioned is not from the early roots of metal. "

Led Zeppelin, THE root of metal, is one of my absolute favorite bands of all time.

"Fear Factory, I like some of there stuff (in fact I have all of there cds) only problem with them is they is they have a very plastic sound also"

Circa Demanufacture, they really started to become as raw as they'd let themselves be. Their talent really shines through the plasticization.

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
Have you guys picked up the CD/DVD yet?

I picked up mine the day after it came out, It was ON SALE! $10!!!

Ten bucks for the cd and dvd RULES!!

The new album is ten times better than the last 3 they put out hands down.

It is hard to compare it to any of metallicas classic albums though. Ride the lightning is going to be tough to beat!

I agree about Robert Trujillo! He RULES! I can't believe the difference a new bassist can make!

Thank You Metallica!

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
galleon said:
The track has irressistable, catching groove that does not irritate, the chorus is hell-paced with the drums clocking 198 bpm on a metronome, and the hardcore-reminiscent breakdowns are coherent and well placed. You can almost see the smoke rising from the bass drum heads during the extended double-kicking tantrums which frequent the track.

Dang! I wish I could put words together half as well as you do!

Well said!:beer:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts