The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just noticed that media bags in my sump has metal zip on them. Something similar to one seen here. (amazon * dot * com) /Nylon-Aquarium-Filter-Media-Zipper/dp/B008UK1N80 please complete the URL as this post doesnt allow me to post complete URL.

Are these threat to the inverts in the tank? They were deep inside the sump and covered with other media which are not using zipper, so i could not remove them. But from the distance it doesn't seem its rusted. Looks like having a coat of some white anti-rust thing.

If its toxic, what exact metal will it leak? I can use a test kit and see if %

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise Holygral. I am planning to remove all the media and transfer the content to new bags that have nylon ties ( already got few).
Sump setup was done by my LFS and I didn't notice the zip. Really surprise to know manufactures use metal part when they know these bags are used exclusively for aquarium filtration purpose.

I wouldn't trust it, cut the zipper off and use a rubber band or a nylon wire tie

·
Reef Geek
852 Posts
It's probably stainless steel but I still wouldn't use it. Salt is a wicked substance and corrodes almost anything. Especially if it's some cheap Chinese stainless....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.