The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new light fixture with 2x150watt 10,000K HQI metal halides and 2x96watt true blue compact fluorescents for my 72 gallon tank. I leave the actinics on for 12 hours, and I used to keep my 10,000K compacts on for 10 hours a day, but now that I have HQI's, how long should I leave those on? - 10 hours is too much I think. Right now I'm only doing 3 hours a day to get the corals used to the new lights.

On a side note, does anyone know what HQI stands for? Also, I got HQI because I was told they are more energy efficient than regular metal halides, but are there any disadvantages I should know about?

Thanks for your help,
-Matt

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Matt619 said:
I recently purchased a new light fixture with 2x150watt 10,000K HQI metal halides and 2x96watt true blue compact fluorescents for my 72 gallon tank. I leave the actinics on for 12 hours, and I used to keep my 10,000K compacts on for 10 hours a day, but now that I have HQI's, how long should I leave those on? - 10 hours is too much I think. Right now I'm only doing 3 hours a day to get the corals used to the new lights.

Our's are on for 8hrs actinics on before and after the MH's

On a side note, does anyone know what HQI stands for? Also, I got HQI because I was told they are more energy efficient than regular metal halides, but are there any disadvantages I should know about?

Mercury (Hg) Quartz Iodide, a type of metal halide lamp

The 250's put out the same as a 400w - not sure on the 150's. Cost more to replace- puts out more UV because the bulb is not built to contain it but the glass cover will, eaisly broken if put in wrong, must be installed with gloves or cloth to avoid fingerprints on the bulb.

Thanks for your help,
-Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts