The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, I just moved and moved my tank which is a 72gal bowfront. My lighting was 6 T5ho system and am switching to 1 250w metal halide and 2 T5ho actinics. could anyone help me with how to mount the metal halide I built a canopy with a top, front, and sides. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the top middle to slide the light into this way i will get more spread from the MH. Any advice would be very helpful, I was hoping to do it tommorow after work.:idea:

· Registered
8,356 Posts
Doesn't your tank have a centerbrace? You may have issues with shadowing and possible heat damage to the brace with a single MH in the middle.

A 4ft 72g bowfront would be better with 2 MH's, one centered over each half.

· Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I would say go with two MH. But if you really want one you can replace the center brace with an acrylic one. I did this on my 36 bow and it's super easy. Takes bout 20minutes and about 10$

· Registered
453 Posts
Tableware Drinkware Stemware Barware Wood

Get a Batwing refelctor, you can get a good spread out of this for your lighting.

· Registered
21 Posts
DO NOT place a MH over your brace you WILL regret it later when it inevitably melts and breaks I have seen 2 people do it. As stated above you can offset or go with 2 lights ...I burned out a ballast so i only have one working halide over my 120 at the moment and while I do not love having unequal light, it is much better than a broken brace. I don't know anything about the acrylic braces but from my experience changing a brace is never "easy" those things are glued on pretty good .....Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.