The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a 10k Ushio metal halide bulb, and it's just too yellow for my liking and it seems to fade out the color of my coral. If I jump up to 14k bulb, will it make my coral have the nice colors that they should be, without having to run actinics also?

Thanks,

Chad

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
well, actually going to a a 6.5K bulb will give you the colour that the corals should be in normal sunlight, but that is not what we want. we want exagerated funky colouring.

i guess the answer is no, if you want the funky colouring than just save the effort and get some 20K bulbs. XM preferably. be prepared for a slowdown in coral growth though.

G~

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well maybe I should change that then...I would like the nice funky coloring. I feel like the 20k are a little too blue sometimes. Will the 14k give the funky colors without actinics, or should I just go all the way? Thanks.

Chad

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
when you are dealing with those arbitraty K values it becomes really hard to tell which you would like better. some 14K's may be bluer than some 15K's. each manufacturers bulb will look different even though they are listed as the same K.

in other words. yes, a bulb in that range should do what you are wanted. unfortunately finding that one may be a lot of trial and error. :(

G~

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi c9miles
I just went from 2 175 watt 5000k mh to 2 175 watt 15000k and I can't tell you how much better my rocks coral and fish look. It was like everything came to life.
Patrick
ps. one thing I didn't know but you prob do is dont touch the bulb when putting it in. I guess the oil from our hands can make those things burst.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts