The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends. Recently have gone through a few changes with my Red Sea tank. T5 lighting is ok but I wanted to do some heavy duty reefing. After about a year, I setup my RSM with 4 - 36 inch Sunbrite LED's. I can speak from experience I think they leave alot to be desired right now. Made the investment and could not keep SPS. Do your homework as I was told over and over it was me and not the LED's. Back to point here. I recently had a custom canopy made for my Max and now am looking into lighting. I think I want to do the Halide thing. I do have a chiller on my tank and my question is am I better off going 2 - 150 watt halides? Or better doing 1 - 250 watt halide. I get conflicting advise. One says that the 250 will cast shadows in the corners. Others say 2 - 150's might be too bright! I do plan on putting halide(s) with actinic blues and reflectors in the canopy. Just curious about what some suggestions would be.
Thanks alot.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
I suggest just the 1 - 150 watt halide :) 2-250s would be overkill for your electricity bill.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well a good bit of it depends on how deep your tank is, if you want to keep any kind of SPS or a Clam you will need a good bit of light, don't go by the Watts per gallon rule either, there is a little more than just Watts to consider.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Halide Reply

Thanks gang. I was thinking of 2 - 150's not 2 250's. Can't remember if I goofed and put that or not. The Red Sea Tank is about 18/19 inches deep and my canopy is 8 " tall. I'm just not sure if I go with 1 - 250 or 2 - 150's with reflectors and some blue lighting. I have chiller. thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Alright then, 2 150w Metal Halide Lights will do fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts