The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I are planning to invest in a 4' 250 watt MH lighting system for our 55 gallon reef setup which we would like to keep stonies in. I have narrowed my search into two favorites: the Coralife Aqualight Pro with 250 watters, Actinic PC's, and moonlights vs. a PFO 250 watter with VHO Super Actinics and IceCap ballast. The coralife unit is much much cheaper and comes with the moonlamps, but I have heard negative reviews since they are mass produced. The PFO units on the other hand are handmade and have rave reviews. Can any owners of either type give me some opinions of which to invest in.
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
Ive never had either but with the homework you have done i think you have answered your own question. FWIW, i think the moonlights are worthless and dont like what they look like. I think my fish get enough moonlight from our dining room and hall lights.

Quality first.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,749 Posts
I have the 72" Coralife and it seems like a great fixture. The only issue I have had is the obvious one, Heat!

That's my .02!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts
I don't know anything about either item. However based on what you have writtin I would spend the long dollar. ICECAP's rep. stands for it's self and I don't like mass produced anything. IMO

Fred
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,749 Posts
3 degrees at 8 inches above the tank. I am not sure what the temp difference before hanging it from the ceiling. I had a bad thermometer. The legs that came with them only had the fixture 5 inches from the water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScruffyRubicon said:
3 degrees at 8 inches above the tank. I am not sure what the temp difference before hanging it from the ceiling. I had a bad thermometer. The legs that came with them only had the fixture 5 inches from the water.
Wow 5", that doesn't give you much room to work with, does it? How much does the unit weigh approximately?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wiskey said:
Both are good units, the question for you is do you want to spend the money for the PFO?

Myself I would go with the coralife, and save the extra money for other stuff down the line.

HTH,
Whiskey
LOL, I am not sure, really. I was wondering if there would be much difference in the appearance or function between saving for the PFO or just get the cheaper coralife. This is such a difficult decision to make... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
belle baby angelfish said:
LOL, I am not sure, really. I was wondering if there would be much difference in the appearance or function between saving for the PFO or just get the cheaper coralife. This is such a difficult decision to make... :(
Wow, aquadirect has these PFO acrolights for really cheap. Much cheaper than marinedepot was asking. I can get one for the same price as the coralife one. Awesome..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I noticed that the coralife fixture with MH's is wider than your 55. I imagine that you would have a lot of spill over with the actinics right at the edge of the tank.

Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dudnerd said:
I noticed that the coralife fixture with MH's is wider than your 55. I imagine that you would have a lot of spill over with the actinics right at the edge of the tank.

Michael
yeah, i hadn't thought of that, either. thank you!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top