The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am potentially looking to upgade from PC's. Does anyone have a good suggestion on where to find inexpesive metal halide balasts and bulbs? I have looked on ebay but don't know if what is being offered is quality. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have a clam, acropora, hydnophora, and other SPS and various LPS. The LPS flourish. The acro is growing but hasn't maintained it's intense color. I would say the hydnophora does extremly well and my clam has grown some. This tank is a 75 gallon. The exact dimensions escape me. But it is a standard size. I want to find an outlet for inexpensive lighting because I may increase the size of my tank to a 120 and I am currently cycling a 90 gallon for a buddy of mine. In addition I am exploring the possiblity of setting up tanks for folks. I have 3 others interested in having me setup tanks for them. Any suggestions on lighting?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did a do it yourself type thing by buying parts from hellolights.com. I think I ended spending about $250 or 260 for two-250w lights, sufficient for a 75g tank. You could go to 175's if you want and save a little money there. I know it can be done more cheaply, by ordering ballasts from Graybar or some similar company. They tend to not ask the higher prices for ballasts that aquarium based stores do.

HTH
Phil

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i do not know how DIY you want to get! here is how you can do it for $100. if the link does not go directly there it is under the articles menu.

another

another one

these are fairly DIY. if you are not that DIY then Premium Aquatics has a lot of nice mount and run retro kits.

HTH,

G~

·
Registered
807 Posts
spend the extra money on the 250W setup. I had 175s over my old 75 and it just wasn't enough.

·
Registered
807 Posts
since its not our money Casey lets just go with 1000W HQIs.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Seriously folks I am in the same boat with Toadfish and I have 520W PCs over my 90 Gallon tank and everything is doing great but everything is bland in the color. I fragged out some zoos at TDWyatt's and under his 250 MH's they are now emerald green and they were brown in my tank. They are healthy and spreading like wildfire just not coloring up like the ones under MH. I know what ballasts I am going with which are two of the New IceCap 250MH HQi'S. I am trying to figure out what are really good reflectors for these lights. I have heard that the spider light reflectors are the best but are not cheap. Anyone have any thoughts on what would would be good reflectors and for a 90 Gallon AGA RR Tank what would be a good MH Level 2 250W or 2 400W. I want a good balance. I want to keep LPS and some SPS. Any thoughts. Thank you.

Earl

·
Registered
214 Posts
An observation I made between high kelvin and low kelvin rating seems to connect color of coral pigments and growth.

I notice at very low kelvin (6500K and below) corals grow but in higher kelvin (20K MH) they literally burst out into a multitude of colors.

But. Some ricordea I saw from pics posted were exhibiting abnormal color (that which is not in the wild). For me it does not matter but some purist find it unnatural. (analogy:a woman is beautiful when she wears make up. But wipe it off only the REALLY pretty ones remain beautiful)

As aquarist we prefer the beauty and colors. This i concur. Natural or not. So go with MH with high kelvin rating (10K or even higher).

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I disagree 65k is closest to natural light and my coral are very good in color as in the wild which is gorgeous and closer to 65k 10 k is for human eye pleasure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Incidentally I saw Radium and HQI MH. Which is better?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree Casey. But observe users of higher kelvin MH. The corals are "abnormally" beautiful! I have kept mine in color spectrum below 6700K and they remain brown. That is their natural color in the wild.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Casey: I refer to better meaning rated to give out more light/cheaper/efficient.

Does anyone know a good link comparing both?

·
Registered
807 Posts
reiple,
I have a nice acro frag I picked up in Feb this year and under 150W 6700K Osram HQIs it has developed very brilliant purple tips and the growth has been great compared to what it was under 175W 10K Custom Sealife halides. I like a bluer bulb but my little Avro doesn't seem to care.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.