The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im upgrading my lighting to a 250w metal halide. I got a ballast for 20 bucks on craigslist and i just recived my screw on lamp and mogul base. My question is do i need a glass on the reflector cuz im mounting it onto my canopy.I know that the doble end lamps need it for radiation but dont know if the screw on ones do since the actual lamp is inside the glass bulb. Thanks

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I recommend it for either bulb style personally. All too often does a little splash of water ending up cracking the bulb...

But technically, no a Mogul style bulb does not need it. How close to the water is your bulb?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
No you don't need any glass. As stated the closer your bulb to the water the higher your chances of cracking the glass and irradiating your tank. I run mine about 5" from the surface without glass and I've yet to crack a bulb. If you can get away without glass, definitely go that route, you'll lose 2-5% output depending on the glass you choose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have my canopy about about 5in. from the water and its open so that air can circulate insted of having it all closed up.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
That's a pretty short canopy. It would be a little difficult fitting everything in there. Do you have any ideas on how your going to set up the hood?

Is it sitting on the tank or suspended?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a pretty short canopy. It would be a little difficult fitting everything in there. Do you have any ideas on how your going to set up the hood?

Is it sitting on the tank or suspended?
The bottom of the canopy is 5 in. from the top of the tank. I fit everything inside of the canopy, the mh in the middle and t5's on each side.I have no glass ontop of my tank cuz i like the open water look.Ill post a pic soon.Thanks

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Mogul bulbs with no additional glass shield should be around 7 or 8 inches above the water surface to prevent breakage from splashing. With a 6 in canopy, your bulbs must be pretty close to the water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts