The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the Metal Halide bulbs at Home Depot are the same kind as those used in a reef tank? They are much cheaper ($35) but I haven't heard of anyone using them. Is there something wrong with using them? FYI --They are made by Phillips or GE.
Thanks Chuck

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to the TRT, Chuck!!!!

:wavey:

i have not tried them, but they are prolly the wrong spectrum. they will prolly be to yellow. if you can get the exact model number then you can look it up on the GE site. hopefully they can give a K rating. if it is lower than 6500K, which it prolly is, then it will be to yellow, and not really usuable in an aquarium.

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Hi Chuck welcome to TRT:wavey: Those bulbs are the wrong kelvin way to yellow. sorry:(

·
Registered
658 Posts
I also looked into the HD halides, but they're 4000K, way too low in the spectrum to be of any benefit to a reef aquarium.
I saw a picture somewhere where a guy had put one of the HD bulbs in his canopy to show the difference in spectrum from his other 6500K bulb, and in half his tank it looked like somebody had 'relieved themselves' in it... it was really yellow.
HTH

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn,
I thought I would be able to save a few bucks. I figured something must be wrong with them since I haven't heard any mention of them.
Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Chuck just remember the golden rule in reef keeping its$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D

·
Registered
658 Posts
Chuck,
Well, you could always grow a tankful of hair algae... it likes the yellow spectrum pretty well. :D

By the way, I forgot to mention something...

WELCOME TO TRT!!!!! :beer:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm going to get thrashed for this, but I did buy a HD MH and used it for about 2 years on my 80g. I supplemented it with about 110w of 96k PC's and a 40w actinic NO's. Quite frankly, it looked great, I had a ton of coralline algae, corals grew (similar varieties as yours no SPS/LPS or clams) Mine was rated at 5300K. It is not what I'd put on a tank if it were going to be my only light source, no way no how.

You know, I still have it if you want to save even more money and get a used one :D

Phil

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
125G's said:
I'm going to get thrashed for this, but I did buy a HD MH and used it for about 2 years on my 80g.
Actually not too bad for a refugium, I have been contemplating one for quite some time, it would be interesting to see how an Icecap runs it...

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Tom let me know if ya want a used one I jave plenty of those junkers laying around,God way to yellow looking even for my refugium mo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts