The Reef Tank banner

message from web page

Tags
reef club
283 views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Minnreefer 
#1 ·
I was in Pisces Pets today and asked for my 10% ARC discount. The owner told me that they are not and never have been sponsers of ARC??????? Someone might better look into this. Thanks.
Nicole

P.S. Speaking of membership in ARC, will someone PLEASE send me my card? I sent application and $20.00 on July 5th. Thanks again.

#3 · (Edited)
I just received a PM from Nicole - who posted the same inquiry.

I am mailing her card (I had it ready at the last meeting, she did not attend). Only one person has ever sent a stamped envelope for their card to be mailed - so I have not been mailing them, except for Fish Garden's, Cap. Bay and one or two others who live far away, who contacted me after the fact. I still have a handful of unclaimed cards, and a few new ones to do, and requests for duplicate cards for lost cards - what is our policy for replacement cards? Is there a fee for these? IMO there should be a small charge to cover costs, but enough to discourage people from passing around "duplicate" cards to their non-member friends... discuss?

I just came on here to post the same message about Pisces...

Who is in charge of sponsor memberships? Charles *was* taking care of this but Ron Gladstone volunteered to help, but nobody contacted him about it - then at the last meeting I was asked for Ron's contact info, which I posted... IMO whoever initiated contact with Pisces should be involved in sorting this one out...

Jenn

#7 ·
I think we should make it a matter of policy to mail cards to members and for the club to absorb the cost of mailing. Some of our members aren't close to us and that way they can take advantage of the membership priveleges ASAP. Maybe we can have a box on the bottom of the membership form where they can indicate if they want the card mailed or will pick it up.

#8 ·
Rick O said:
I think we should make it a matter of policy to mail cards to members and for the club to absorb the cost of mailing. Some of our members aren't close to us and that way they can take advantage of the membership priveleges ASAP. Maybe we can have a box on the bottom of the membership form where they can indicate if they want the card mailed or will pick it up.
I like that idea....even if all 100 members wanted them mailed, that is only $37 in the grand scheme of things....plus envelopes...so we are out $40 tops....

#9 ·
Can I suggest then that the Club purchase a roll of stamps and a box of envelopes?

I've provided them up til now - including paper for receipts etc., but it's adding up. I did submit expenses for a half dozen stamps, plus certified postage ($5.11) but rather than nickel and diming the club all the time, if the club had its own stuff, it would simplify things all around, IMO. I don't mind paper and ink and even envelopes (I have a box of 500 or something ridiculous at the store) but a roll of "club" stamps would suffice.

Originally the form on the website said to include a SASE if they wanted the card mailed, but only one person read that.

Jenn

#11 ·
I'm still waiting for the club to reimburse me for other things - I cannot afford to go any more out of pocket. Some of my expenses date back to January, and between not having an expense report format to follow or set procedure, and absentee treasurer, I've been waiting a long time to get my money back. I am not willing or able to do this again - I know it's not a lot of money, but I'm stretched thin as it is, and I just can't float the club a loan again.

The domain name needs to be renewed in the next couple of weeks too - you all need to decide for how long at $35 per year. If we renew for more than a year, there is a slight savings, but I don't know if we should go more than a year at a time. The domain is registered in my name so I am the one who needs to renew, but I need the funds to do that too -- I'm not going in the hole again, esp. if I have to wait weeks or months to get my money back. So if the BOD would like to discuss, vote, and foward me the $37 for stamps and $35 for domain name, I'll be happy to comply.

Jenn

#12 ·
JennM said:
I'm still waiting for the club to reimburse me for other things - I cannot afford to go any more out of pocket. Some of my expenses date back to January, and between not having an expense report format to follow or set procedure, and absentee treasurer, I've been waiting a long time to get my money back.
You just refuse to be civil to me. I've tried to be nice to you for the last time.

#13 ·
I have to go to the post office next week so I will buy stamps for the club and send them to you as well as a box of envelopes along with those two bags I promised you for refractometers.

I also authorize Rick to pay for the domain name. I will send you an expense report to use. It is in Excel and you can fill it out and sent to Rick fo prepayment. I would still like to see the associated receipt when you get one forwarded to Rick also. Thanks!

#14 ·
We all front money for the club...so I can understand that you don't want to, but it is a necessary evil. I am about to front money for Calfo....so it is just the way it is....We are not talking tons of money. Any expense report will do, it does not have to be official and you can always mail it to Rick. I am about to do that for some expenses myself.

#15 ·
Rick, no offense, but Jenn sounded pretty civil to me. If she really has been waiting that long to be reimbursed, I think that's about the nicest way one could make an issue of it. I don't blame you in particular for dropping the ball as I think it's mostly just that the whole structure of the club is new to all of us and people are still trying to get used to how things are supposed to work. Jenn's right about our lack of defined procudures.

And Jenn, in the future, please leave out the cracks about an 'absentee treasurer'. If somebody, *anybody*, needs a break for personal reasons, that's their perogative. He's back now - 'nuf said. You don't like Rick, Rick doesn't like you. Don't snipe at each other and make things worse.

So...

Rick, please find a few minutes to pick up some stamps and envelopes. Pay for them with a club check (so nobody's out-of-pocket on these) and bring them to the next meeting. Jenn, please get a couple stamps and envelopes to use in the mean time and bring all of your documentation for previous expenses that haven't been presented to the next meeting. Let's get this resolved.

Rob.

#16 ·
Geezus Rick - where did that come from? You've had a problem with me for some months now, which you refuse to address directly and attempt to resolve - so I've learned to live with that, but I don't appreciate being provoked in an otherwise constructive thread. I simply stated FACTS. Perhaps those facts are an unpleasant reminder to you, or embarrasing or whatever, but they are facts notwithstanding. You didn't bring the checkbook in April and August, and you opted out of the interim meetings for whatever reason(s) any mention of which seems to illicit great sensitivity by you. If you or anyone is reading more into that, that's YOUR problem, not mine. I've been more than civil, and I've attempted several times to ask just what the problem is, in the interest of resolving it, and you refuse to answer or work out the problem. Be punative all you want - it's nothing new, I'm used to it and I can work within it, but I'm not going to volunteer extra for it. Club business is club business, period. It's not personal. It's funny how we can all be nice face to face, or when we need something, but the minute we go home the knives come out, don't they?

The simple and embarrassing fact for ME is that I cannot afford to front any more money. PERIOD. My budget is tight, and I don't have $70 to lend without doing without something else until that money comes back. As it is I'm hurting for the $94 that the club owes me now, and I've been too afraid of the ugly reprocussions of asking for it. There it is - embarrassing, but true. Have a field day with that. With over $2000 in the bank, there is no reason why any member should have to front money, so Andy I respectfully disagree that it is a "necessary evil" here and now. In the past it was, because the club had no source of funds - and when I was able I did front a good chunk of money to the club, and I dontated lots of supplies. I still donate supplies - paper, ink, and my company is willing and able to absorb that, but I just don't have the funds to do any extra, especially when the club does have the funds to prepay approved expenses. And of course receipts will be submitted to the treasurer - I have always followed procedure and have no intentions of changing that.

Jenn

#17 ·
robsweet said:
You don't like Rick, Rick doesn't like you. Don't snipe at each other and make things worse.
This is incorrect. I have had no personal quarrel with Rick, that I am aware of. Suddenly around April or May, Rick took on a quarrel with me, which I have attempted to draw out and resolve on a number of occasions, to no avail. I can't force the issue, and I cannot change what I do not know.

I don't really know why there is a problem between us, but I've been very willing to work it out. I still am. Rick, the ball is in your court to air the grievance and move on, if you choose to. If you don't, that's your problem, not mine.

My comments about being absent were FACT, not "sniping", perhaps if everybody wasn't always on the defensive, they would stop reading more into stuff than is actually there. It only seems to happen in these posts - not in person, as we've discussed before, but unless we're prepared to meet more often, we'd better get better at the written word.

Jenn

#18 ·
JennM said:
This is incorrect. I have had no personal quarrel with Rick, that I am aware of. Suddenly around April or May, Rick took on a quarrel with me, which I have attempted to draw out and resolve on a number of occasions, to no avail. I can't force the issue, and I cannot change what I do not know.
That is a flat out lie. You've never tried to have any conversation with me.

If you've been waiting since January for reimbursement then that's your fault. I wrote you a check on February 19 to reimburse you for everything you submitted to me and I haven't had a request for reimbursement since then until last week at the BOD meeting.

I put my family before the Atlanta Reef Club so if missing a meeting makes me not worthy of being treasurer then someone (BOD) let me know and they can come pick up the checkbook.

I can't wait for this year to end. You've made it absolutely miserable for me and some others.

This is all I have to say on the subject.

#19 ·
On at least two occasions here on the board, I have asked how I have wronged you, which have received no reply. Rather than engage in a public scene, I've either ignored, or been ignored. No I have not called you - perhaps that is my fault. STill, I'm not the one who inititiated hostility between us.

Again, I'll ask you, how have I wronged you? In the past we had a good relationship, you supported us, we supported you and life was good. Suddenly things changed and I am still at a loss as to why. We can clear the air now if you wish, (I'm asking yet again, and again in this thread) or we can leave it as it is. I have no anger or ill will, I'm just confused and disappointed and I'd like to move on. As I stated before, the choice is yours.

As to the issue of "time off", I was witness to your abrupt departure from this board when William voiced his opinion about his post being moved, on about May 21. I left well enough alone and did what needed to be done as far as bank deposits etc., and reporting at meetings until July when I finally asked Andy what was up. He informed me that you had "tried to resign" (did I get the verbage right, Andy?) but he had not accepted. That night Andy and I and others present discussed this, and all those present agreed that I should proceed and order checks and move forward with treasurer stuff, but Andy was going to ask you to make it public. I told Andy I would wait until that was done because I did not want to infringe on anybody. 2 or 3 days later, I contacted Andy to ask what the status was, and he said that you were back on, so I did not do anything further. I did not ask questions, or make accusations and nobody had anything else to say. I figured all was right again with the world, but apparently not.

Perhaps it's just the mix of personalities here, but it seems that nothing can be accomplished without a debate or bad feelings - whether I'm involved with it or not - so it's not "just me". IMO it's more about duelling egos than anything else. I've resolved to sit back and just do what I said I would do for the club and that's just what I'm doing, when my time permits. I've worked with many boards of directors over the years, in service clubs, MASNA, Cub Scouts and I've never seen anything like this.

Jenn

#20 ·
OK GUYS and GALS, I don't want to step into ARC areas but you both need to chill out. I am gald this is not in the general forum, if it was both of you would get a strong time out. I am not going to get anymore involved but you both seem like good people.

Jon

the BIG BOSS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.