The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
16,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Everyone, and HAPPY MONDAY! And a heart felt big salute to all our brave men and women who have given Their all for Our great Nation......Raise those flags high, stand tall and proud, and let's remember what this day is for.....MEMORIAL DAY!

May everyone have a safe holiday.

Coffee is going, and still doughnuts to help get rid of. Heading to our local sea food market early to get fresh grub fr the grill.....as usual may have a lot or few Guests...,.,.half the funs in the not knowing. Sun will be joining Us today, though the temps will be a wee skimpy, mid 70's at best, the pool is opened.

All the very best to All,
Hack

·
Administrator
16,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well maybe not too early.......Seafood location doesn't open till 10:00, which I would like to be parked outside when they do open. Acme for the land faring grub offers opens right........,.,ab.....out...............NOW, so they'll be there when I am ready.

Personally doughnut'd out, but Soft boiled eggs are bubbling as we speak, with nice greasy, fatty, thick sliced bacon to squeeze on the toast with the eggs.

Had hopes for a weekend full of breakfasts on the grill with the chirping birds and summer breeze......but THIS works.
Hack

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,667 Posts
Morning Hack and all! I'll add the Taylor ham egg and cheese (pork roll for Hack and all the southern Jersey people) and more coffee. Happy Memorial Day and Thanks to all the brave that gave it all! Hope you all have a safe holiday!! Here's a picture with my dad and my grandfather (II never met) ready to go into the service.

·
Administrator
16,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning George! Yup, ALWAYS room for some Taylor 'pork roll' on the plate......THANKS! ?

Hope others will share some memories as well George......I know Cath will have a tale to share.
My Mother's side of the Family were a bunch of sea fairers, and in Our early history in this great country of Our's, My Great........'however many more' Uncle Richard Somers led the parade.....

Stephen Decatur and Richard Somers
Richard Somers (September 15, 1778 - September 4, 1804) was an officer of the United States Navy, killed during an assault on Tripoli during the First Barbary War.
Contents
Early career[edit]
Born at Great Egg Harbor, New Jersey, he attended the Episcopal Academy in Philadelphia with future naval heroes Stephen Decatur and Charles Stewart. He was appointed midshipman on April 23, 1797 and served in the West Indies during the Quasi-War with France on the frigate United States with Decatur and Stewart, a ship commanded by Captain John Barry. He was promoted to lieutenant on May 21, 1799.
In 1800, Somers fought three duels on the same day with multiple opponents because they accused him of cowardice for failing to challenge Decatur over a joking insult they overheard. Somers was wounded in the first two duels and had to be supported during the third (by Decatur, who was acting as his second).[1]
Somers was detached from United States on June 13, 1801 and ordered to Boston on July 30, 1801. He served in the latter frigate in the Mediterranean. After Boston returned to Washington, DC, Somers was furloughed on November 11, 1802 to await orders.
First Barbary War[edit]
On May 5, 1803, Somers was ordered to Baltimore, Maryland, to man, fit out, and command USS Nautilus, and when that schooner was ready for sea, to sail her to the Mediterranean. Nautilus got underway on 30 June, reached Gibraltar on July 27, and sailed four days later to Spain. He then returned to Gibraltar to meet Commodore Edward Preble, in Constitution, who was bringing a new squadron for action against the Barbary pirates. Nautilus sailed with Preble on October 6 to Tangier where the display of American naval strength induced the Europeans of Morocco to renew the treaty of 1786. Thereafter, Tripoli became the focus of Preble's attention.
Somers' service as commanding officer of Nautilus during operations against Tripoli won him promotion to master commandant on May 18, 1804. In the summer, he commanded a division of gunboats amidst five attacks on Tripoli, during the First Barbary War.
On September 4, 1804, Somers assumed command of the fire ship Intrepid, which had been fitted out as a "floating volcano", alongside 12 members of a volunteer crew. Intrepid was to be sailed into Tripoli harbor and blown up in the midst of the corsair fleet close under the walls of the city. That night, she got underway into the harbor, but she exploded prematurely, killing Somers and his entire crew.[2][3]
Legacy

Hmmmmmm ?......Why didn't I think of sharing this before? Any how, Somer's Point where I was born, work, and you know the rest probably, is His/Our Family's homestead, including Their mansion turned historical center, which for the price of admission, We are more than welcome there any time.
Hack

·
Administrator
47,323 Posts
Good Morning Hack and George. I will have my Mothers Flag out today, she was WAC 48-51n when she got with child as they said back then( that was me). Dad served 22yrs in Army. His family has a long history of service dating back to the Civil War on the losing side, I did almost 6 months before 1st serious MC accident got me fired

·
Super Moderator
27,429 Posts
Good mawnin’, Hack, George, Doug, and all of TRT!

Thanks for the coffee and breakfast, guys! There’s something there for everyone. Nanners and watermelon chunks for a snack are on the table.

Good to read all these remembrances of family members who served in various wars. George - Great photo of your dad and grandfather! Hack - interesting detail about your ancestor Richard Somers. I’ll look up Somers Point tp look up more about it. Doug - I didn’t remember that your mother was a WAC. What did she do?

None of my family members were killed while serving in the military, though one of my father’s older brothers was on the U.S.S. Pennsylvania at Pearl Harbor.
Today I remember a high school classmate SP4 Harold Gay whose plane was shot down in the Vietnam war.

Remembering the fallen.

Lots of love and peace and hugs to everyone!

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I just got back from Calverton National Cemetery to visit my Buddy there. I spent a lot of time re planting flags that fell in the storm yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
27,429 Posts
Paul - Thank you for sharing your heartfelt service fir your Buddy’s resting place.❤🇺🇸

·
Administrator
16,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured with your hand in a cast this year Paul we wouldn't hear from you with your usual patriotic touch on this day.......SO GLAD WE DID!

There's no social significance, or national worthiness Cath in Somerspoint, NJ, other than that's where this Young man hailed from that sits prominently in US Naval lore n history. General George Washington also gave Him and Stephen Decatur matching rings with a lock of His hair in them. TRIVIA...

PLAN-A's have no reason to exist.......Went to hope in the van this morning to head to the grocery stores, only to discover a 'soft' tire. So headed to a local shop to get it 'plugged'. Good for now, BUT the puncture was high enough up the side wall it warrants more attention from the inside. Will drop it off at the garage tomorrow while I'm at work.
2017 Chrysler Pacificas decided it was a great idea to NOT INCLUDE A SPARE TIRE......rather an 'air compressor and a built in can of FIX A FLAT' in it's place......AND a goofy enough rim size that they are near on impossible thus far to locate one to get a spare in the back. HAD I ONLY KNOWN! 🤔 :oops:

Get to the get to'n Folks.....weekends a wasting!
Hack

·
Administrator
16,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grills fired up.......kabobs all assembled, steaks basting, and shrimp are wrapped.......Hmmmmmmm 🤔 ......wonder how 'large of an army' I outa cook fer? Sun is predominately staying out, and breeze is behaving, and temps....ehhhhhh, to quote Mr. Loaf.....'Two outa three ain't bad.'.

How Y'All doing? Jeff, are you with Folks today sharing a meal? Heap of a drive, but if'n needed we can ship Perry over there....He's closest I think?

Peace and Friendly thoughts,
Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,429 Posts
Hi, Hack -
Sounds like your family had great food and plenty of grooviness.
OK, ya got me on “Mr Loaf.” Who is he?

Hope your day back at the office isn't too bad, but after 2 1/2 days off.... eeesh. Better knuckle down, buckle down....and watch out for your head.

Jeff - Yes indeed, what Hack said. I hope you were with family today!

Late checking in for the evening. Had a good time over at Bobbi and Hal’s place.

So where is Perry??

Nitee nite, all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts