The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is a new one for me. I got this monti cap. frag from Dwayne in December. I just noticed a couple "melting" spots on it. Everything else looks good in my tank except this. It was fine last night and I just noticed it. Anyone ever have this happen? Should I get it out? It's nothing special, but it has had incredible growth since I got it (IMO). No conditions have changed that I know of....Started about 1" size...

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unbelievable, I just pulled one of those f'n things out with a tweezers after I posted. It was crawling on my pink palys. Where would it come from after all this time? Is this a where there is one....look out?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really doesn't make sense. It sounds like they need to eat the host to survive and besides a couple monti frags from the last meeting, the last couple montis I got are from months ago and I've never had a problem. Is it possible it came in on another coral (hitched a ride) and it's the only one? Also, the monti in question is growing on a large rock and is apart of my main structure...

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
That sucks, Mike. :(
Just so you know, it wasn't me!

·
Registered
103 Posts
well if you can not QT the monti then you will just have to spend a lot of time searching for new scares caused by these and hopefully pull them out as you see them.

I don't know anything about how these things reproduce lets hope you got lucky and got the one and only one out.

what about other montis can you get them out limiting where they can feed to just this one?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not real worried to be honest. I don't think I got it from a monti frag. Graham and Fahz would have seen them first as it is too big to miss. I would have seen it when mounting the frags. Other two caps I have, have been in the tank several months. The only piece I recently added was an LPS so I'm thinking it was a hitchhiker. Unless it laid eggs I doubt I will see more. Obviously, you never know, but I just don't see how I could have gotten a bunch after reading up on them. This one appeared to be on the max size so I doubt it grew that fast and with no previous damage, leads me to believe he came in recently and prolly with not too many pals.....I hope. :)

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come check it out any time. I usually have a few "hair algae" frags on the rack. :)

·
Kichi Saru!
2,808 Posts
Mike are you sure it was a monti eating nudi? If you have sand settle on the monti, the tissue under the sand will desolve, leaving bare spots.

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Mike I can tell you I don't have them yet as all my Monti's and acros are doing well. They do say when you find one there's more so keep an eye out. They tend to look like what they eat so there hard to spot. Keep us posted if you find more.

Now you've got me looking at the two pieces I received from you.

Fahz

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fahz, no new damage since I removed it. I watch my tank all the time, and very closely I might add. With the size of this one, I just don't see how I could be "infested". I know stranger things have happened, but it's not like I'm adding a lot of corals all the time, especially monti's. Last couple pieces I added were a few weeks ago and all of a sudden this damage so that along with this one seeming to be on the max adult size and pretty easy to spot I doubt you have to worry about the blastos or echino, in fact I would be shocked. Half a centimeter is good sized for a pest, so I doubt I would be missing something all this time and then just happen to spot it unless it was a hitchhiker.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should add, all four of my montis were small frags when I got them and months inbetween acquisitions.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting read here...welcome to my world. Found more, notice they concentrate on one subject which is in my favor. I can rescue the three nice montis I have, but would like to place them with someone. They are small frags and shouldn't be at risk. I don't have much for SPS so I'm thinking I can isolate the infected piece, remove the "at risk" corals and wait for them to die. This all discovered last night when I got home from Dirk's. I'll keep people updated on how this works out. I'm looking at it as a challenge until it goes after something nice. As long as they don't eat LPS, I'm prolly a good person to get this.

http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/html/Devistating%20Coral%20Predators.pdf

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
I would be happy to hang on to your montis for you... :) I have none in my tank so it should not be an issue for me.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Tom, How do you want to work this? I'm thinking I should give you the stylos I have as well. Didn't you want a frag of that anyhow? Maybe you want to come look first (I'll pay your gas) and examine them yourself to make sure, but I don't think this has spread so much that they are everywhere. I took some zoos out last night and they were milling around them (by the damaged monti.) All other montis are on other side of tank. All are small frags that should be easy to examine. I saw them because, just before lights out, I noticed some of the zoos closed up like they do when a hermit is bugging them. Let me know. They are easy to spot and the eggs should be to. By that I mean, it doesn't sound like the eggs are microscopic. If the monti is clean and healthy, it should be safe.

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
OK these guys sound ugly your to close hope they don't transport on other pieces. Do you think they came on a monti frag or from another piece and went after the monti's. I have seven pieces of cap which have been with me from six months to two years and I would sure hate to lose them. I see no traces on anything I have but it would sure be a kick in the butt to get them.

Fahz

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like they stick to eating one thing at a time. I think I saw the egg masses on the zoo rock I removed. If that was them, you have no worring as you can see them and you can def. see the critters. They are not small like LRBs. Half a cent. sounds small, but you don't have to squint. Blane Perun thinks he starved his by removing the infected stuff and treating them outside the tank. I have read nothing that says they attack LPS so being the eternal optimist I am and looking forward to dealing with this with a positive attitude, I'm just going to be proactive and what happens, happens. Fahz, I'm not too close to see, I'm just a positive person looking at it as a challenge. No sense in having a doomsday defeatist attitude. The last pieces I got were after the meeting and it sounds like they pop up fast, (I doubt I've had them for long from what I've read, but let me premise this and all my statements by "I'm not sure yet".) I got them at a LFS, but don't want to sound the alarm to hurt their business until I go back there tomorrow and inspect the tanks I got the pieces from. If I see nothing I will say nothing.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts