The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Green star today, I needed a new scavenger, I did the 4 hour drip, the LFS has had {HimHer} for about a month he's cool to watch!
Brent. <TABLE class=albumContainer><TBODY><TR><TD class=albumThumbContainer>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=albumInfo colSpan=2>Green Star 08/11/06
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have one just like that named Melman. I feed him chunks of shrimp and he goes nuts. He will be a cool addition to your tank!

Chad

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
cool add brent!

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jdbassin said:
green brittle stars have a nasty reputation for eating fish, keep an eye on it!!!

jd
Well he's gonna have to work pretty hard Because their pretty big! LOL!
Thanks!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
jdbassin said:
green brittle stars have a nasty reputation for eating fish, keep an eye on it!!!

jd
Oh man that is so right!I wish I can get mine out of the tank!He's probably ate $200 or more of my fish!I'd have to take everything out of the tank to get him!and thats no guarantie ,he's got into holes.I'd pay someone that could get him out!

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
Green brittles are fascinating critters, but once they get size they will go after smaller sleeping fish, esp if you dont feed them and just let them scavenge.
Mine did the "Octopus dance" and any hint of food and he was there. If I held a piece of shrimp in my fingers he'd wrap and hang on allowing me to lift him outta the water, they are prolly the easiest mobile sea star to catch, FWIW

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Loverotties said:
Oh man that is so right!I wish I can get mine out of the tank!He's probably ate $200 or more of my fish!I'd have to take everything out of the tank to get him!and thats no guarantie ,he's got into holes.I'd pay someone that could get him out!
The smallest fish i have is my Blue green chromis, hope he dont eat them,
but will see, il try to keep him fed.
Brent.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
My green brittle star spends more time in the rock than the sand. The reason I got him was to keep the sand clean. He hasn't bothered my fish but he gets any shrimp that the eel and the anemone don't get.

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
Mine comes "running" on 2 legs when I feed! They are a blast to watch. Nice addition!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I had a Green Brittle Star (Stubby) that I acquired from a fellow reefer who thought 1 of his large crabs was picking on it. I nursed it back to health. He had lost the ends of 2 legs when I got him and then shortly there after lost the ends of his other 3 legs. After about 2 months in my sump/fuge and being fed silversides, krill and even pellet food, all of his legs regrew and now he's happily keeping things tidy in my mother-in-law's 10 yr old reef tank where all the fish are too big for him to eat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
jdbassin said:

jd
include snails and crabs in this comment. Good luck. Nice pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts