The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I was a small child, I have always had pets. Whether it was a dog, stray cat, baby squirl, injured bird, lizard, turtle. snake, aquarium, or just about any animal that I could keep. I have also had an aquarium set up constantly since I was 4 years old. Definately not going to share how long ago that was, but you get the idea.

Last year, things got very hectic around here. My tank was getting neglected, and I was trying to do to many things with to little time. My wife said the once beautiful tank had become an eyesore and had to be taken down, so down went my 90g reef. But, like so many have done before me, I took a break, and now have a new tank.

The official start date of the tank is March 11, 2008 at 12:35A.M.

Now for the tank:

Tank & Stand: Current USA Solana
Light: Surrent usa 20" sunpod 150W HQI
Calcium Reactor: Korallin 1502

Near Future upgrades:

Tunze osmolator or JBJ ATO (depends on the Kalk reactor I choose)
Tunze Kalk doser, fishbowl inovations nielsen reactor, or GEO Kalk reactor (still researching these)
Hydor Korallia Controller w/2 Korallia Nano pumps

Planned upgrades:

Aquacontroller JR
Euroreef Nano Skimmer
Sunpod 250W HQI (if necessary)
Chiller (if necessary)

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the tank 3/11/08 9:45A.M.

Gotta love sandstorms. I went with a very fine aragonite since this will be a shallow sand bed. Light will be installed once water clears. Of course, the glass top is only temporary too.

Forgot to add. For the safety of my son, and/or from guests with prying fingers :) , I installed a "Saftey 1st Magnetic Tot Lok". It is invisible from the outside, and works!

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Nah, tank isn't tall :) I just took the pic at a bad angle. I didn't want anyone to see the shims under the stand. They are actually trimmed up and completely hidden now :)

I like the solana. This particular tank was one of the first tanks current shipped last year. It had sat in a friends store for months.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
czieler,Thats why I went with the sunpod. The pendant is huge. Of course you could purchase a light tree by zero edge, ada, or make your own with electrical conduit, and hang any pendant you like. Of course, my wife in no uncertain terms said "no pendants". So I was left with few options.Racerw.Me either :)

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Paul this is going to be fun. You need to start a thread in the members tank's area.

:rotflmao:

Chris,

Rumor has it that the new 12v koralia nano will be around 300 gph. But, I would love a couple of 6055's on a controller, but budget will not allow for those :(

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Without skimmer, silent. With skimmer, it has a vibration noise. Not to mention the skimmer sucking air. Nothing really loud. If I can find a silencer for the air intake, I will be totally happy. Also, just got the light. Can't wait to get it home and on the tank. So far I really like the sunpod.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The sunpod is installed. Sand storm would probably be over if I didn't have the loc-line pointed at the sandbed.

Also, anyone thing an algeafree hammerhead cleaner would hurt the 1/4" glass? It worked great on my 90 with 1/2" acrylic.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is not the super quiet tank. If you had a quiet replacement skimmer, you would be happy, but otherwise you will hear the humm and sucking sound of the skimmer. It is a little louder than I would like, but not annoying.

Hopefully, in the not to distant future, euroreef will release their nano skimmer. Not that the skimmer on the tank doesn't work, it works well, I just want something a little better.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts