The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having alot of trouble getting accurate readings from my swing arm meters. I have two, one is a instant ocean one that i've had for years and I just got a red sea one to compare. one will read 1.025 and one 1.023. I was thinking about getting a refractometer. Is that the most accurate way to go? Or do I really need to spend $100 on an electronic meter? Looking at this one from Marine depot.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_D...quariums-Marine_Depot-MD2101-FITEOPRF-vi.html

Also can these be calibrated with zero TDS ro/di or does it have to be distilled? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i would def get a refracto..one of the best investments i have made..hydrometers are inaccurate..i bought my refractometer from marine depot for around 50 dollars..its the blue one..and it does just fine..-drew

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, looks like more money going to the reef............. Isn't this fun :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't agree!It has to be RO/DI or Distilled to be sure it's TDS if membrains are good.
I can always buy a gallon of distilled for a dollar and change. Should do alot of calibrations......

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
My wife really wishes I'd find a less expensive hobby but hey...that's just not my style :)
I'd bet that she prefer fish to strip clubs, at least the tanks keep us off the street at night...

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I can always buy a gallon of distilled for a dollar and change. Should do alot of calibrations......
Did you read the link that Fat Tony posted? The RO water works but it's like trying to calibrate your speedometer while parked... If you really care about accuracy, in addition to the consistency that a refractometer will bring, you need to buy the pinpoint calibration fluid and then calibrate your refractometer out to 35ppm;)

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL.. don't think he did..LOL Either way, I think this one needs to be moved to GRD..

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Hop said:
but it's like trying to calibrate your speedometer while parked...
"...but Your Honor, it in't speeding until you get caught..."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts