The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank is being built by Aquarium Obsessed, 60Lx36Wx26H (238g total volume) ½” glass, 5/8” glass bottom, external overflow w/ 2 drains, 2 returns in eurobracing (will be hooked up with sea swirls), starphire on front and viewable side.

Skimmer: Reeflo Orca 250
Flow: 3-4 vortechs
Calcium Reactor: TBD
Controller: most likely Reefkeeper Elite
100 gallon custom sump/fuge
return pump: Reeflo Snapper or Dart (TBD)
Lighting: Sfiligoi Stealth 12x54w T5

<O:p</O:p
Down the Road: shallow frag tank plumbed into main system

<O:p
Sketchup of system

preliminary sump design (working with builder to finalize)

sketchup of tank sent to AO

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
</o:p><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s a picture of the Reeflo skimmer, it is a BEAST, 32” tall and a foot in diameter!

Here are the stands I built. I built two because a 36” stand couldn’t fit thru the door. However, I soon realized getting two stands level with each other and having the weight distributed between the two would be problematic, so I took the stands apart this weekend, and made single frames, which I’ll just assemble in the location of the tank.

You can also see the faux wood vinyl flooring which hopefully will protect my real wood flooring. (learned my lesson the hard way on my old tank about reefs and hardwood floors mixing)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wow - this is going to be a fantastic build! What room of your house is this going into? Looks really cool... How big is that ledge going to be? I love the idea that you're making it into a little seating area... I'm constantly dragging chairs in front of my tank so I can sit there for hours...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crvz - thanks much.

kimsie - it will be viewable from my living room and hallway. The tank itself will sit in my second bedroom (my guests will literally "sleep with the fishes" :) ).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope your guests have ear plugs! Hehe, I wish I could con my wife into letting me do the same... i'd do it in a heartbeat.
One of the luxuries of bachelordom :)

Im going to try to make it as quiet as possible, because I live in a loft style condo, so there is only a partial wall separating the 2nd bedroom, thus the noise travels throughout. Im in downtown Chicago tho, so it really blends in with all the city noise from trains, cars, etc. You just kinda get used to it.

While Im posting, here is a stock pic of lighting unit I ordered, it is being delivered with the tank :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I mentioned I was not happy with the two stand idea, so I went back and made the frame for a single stand, carried the parts in, and assembled it in its final location. I'm SO much happier with the stand now. And of course, here are pics:

1 - 20 of 317 Posts