The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 3d, looks like the tiniest badminton birdy ever, just noticed after a water change with a big sand disturbance. I haven't added anything in over a month, and I spend a fair amount of time looking at the glass cause I like to stare at some tiny I-don't-know-whats that run around on it. So I thought maybe a snail egg too?

Don't worry about the nerite, he's not really skinny like that. Just coming back out after falling off the glass when I kicked up the sand. The new guy is up and to the left like a star on the glass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Yep, looks like a hydroid. I had a bunch in my nano when it was new, they just disappeared on their own after a while. Here's an old pic of one from my tank -

·
Muppet of the Sea
812 Posts
Glad Chi knew what it was because I didn't, but I had to comment on your photo. I love it! You captured a great photo there. It's quite artistic. :) I don't know if this will mean much to you but artist geeks like me see the wonderful color gradients, the beautiful composition, and the atmosphere. Stuff like that makes me go "Ooooooo!" :D

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol Mahna, thanks! I Call this piece the unbearable steepness of glass :)

Thanks chiwing! I only knew to look for them cause I read a post a while ago where you called it for another poster. It's such a bright red that I wanted to be sure. :thumbup:

another weird thing i just noticed is my snail has a volcano on his shell?
When it puffs all the way out it is the same bright red as the hydroid was (I think the nassarius ate it). I didn't get anywhere with Google. pic was useless, so I tried to get a vid. if his shell is a clock face its the little white spot at 11:00. Can't embed from this old iPad, but here's a link if you want to check it out
[Snailcano]

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, like breathing or eating or squirting out more hydroids?
I had to take a bunch of rock away from the snails to scape the new tank and there's so much happening now. The flow is dif, I can see more, it's really fascinating.

I think it looks like a pic made for Star Wars! LOL! But come to think of it... I've seen a lot of saltwater critters that look like they came from Star Wars... :p
Or.... Snaaails in Spaaaace!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Yeah, like breathing or eating or squirting out more hydroids?
I thing there are little tubes or something the pump out the hydroids. But I can't find a reference for that, I just thing I remember seeing something on it when I was looking up mine. It's weird that it looks like it's in the snails shell though...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thing there are little tubes or something the pump out the hydroids. But I can't find a reference for that, I just thing I remember seeing something on it when I was looking up mine. It's weird that it looks like it's in the snails shell though...
That's just the vid, I'm leaving the inside of the glass dirty cause I like the poddy critters on it and the nerites don't really go for the nori. Makes it hard to focus right with the phone though. It's def just attached on him and puffing away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts