The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between a kalkreactor and a calcium reactor? Which would be best utilized by my 180 soft coral reef aquarium? I do have two large bubble corals, but 95% of my reef is soft corals. I like the stuff that sways in the current!
If there is a difference, which one would meet my corals needs most cost effectively and efficiently, with less maintenance and potential headache. Also, I would have to place this unit in a seperate room as there is no room under my tank due to the sump, unless these can be placed directly in the sump?
Before I make any decisions, I would like all the advice/opinions I can get. For the mean time, I will probably just go with the B-ionic until funds are available for the reactor.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Sean

G

·
there are no stupid questions...kalk reactor drip kalkwasser and a calcium reactor utilizes calcium media i belive....i prefer kalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a Korallin calcium reactor and love it. I think you would benefit greatly from a calcium reactor. It would bring much more stability to the tank. As to which is better, I don't know because I have never used a kalkreactor. As far as maintenance, the calcium reactor would probably be less maintenance. Just change the media and clean the pump every six months or so and you are set.
Steve

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Sean,
A calcium reactor may not be worth it in your situation. With a low calcium demand a two part additive like you are using may be better unless you like gagets LOL. Calcium reactors cost a few hundred $$ unless you DIY. Another option is to drip kalk instead of a kalk reactor if you want to go the kalk route.
IMO there is less maintance with a calcium reactor vs a kalk reactor BUT a calcium usually costs more to set up and run.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
StoneyReef is building me a combination reactor. It's a Kalkwasser and Calcium reactor combined in one unit. As for the details, you will have to ask him, but his thoughts on the matter are that using both systems provide for a much more stable system.

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Hi,
We have a predominantly softie reef, but have several LPSs. Occasional B-Ionic is what we use. (And I emphasize "occasional," meaning whenever we remember to add some.) We still grow coralline like there's no tomorrow...

Danielle

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have a softies tank with a bubble coral. I just dose Seachem's Reef Complete and Reef Builder (for alk) once or twice a week. I don't need much more than that. The reactor probably isn't worth the cost but a kalk drip might help if you're system is using up calcium.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
low maintenance: Kalk reactor, but for the perfect system, it really needse an infusion pump of some type to match your evaporation at a steady and slow rate. Reef filler will be about $200 US, but you may want to get an old IVAC pump on ebay. Lots of DYI sites on line, and several folks like Andy at MY Reef make the mixers/reaction vessels as well.

CO2 based are pretty good once you get them dialed in, although sometimes this will require minor changes once established. Make sure to bet a really good regulator if you use this method with an electri c solenoid (for the pH controler). RWD points out the expense, up to $500 or more US when including the reactor unit, the regulator, a pH controller, CO2 tank, reactor media, etc... Really need a separate pH meter as well to monitor the effluent, and there seems to always be some other little expense with them or issues with drifting pH values. In heavily populated systems (hermatypic corals), these are almost a must, amd may require an additional set up with a kalk reactor if the use of ca is very high.

I personally prefer the Kalk reactor with Ball lickling lime, media is about $2 US for 0.5Kg and will last close to a year, need to have a RO device and a reservoir for the water to feed the reactor (solves auto top off issues a nd salinity rariations as well.) I can keep heavily populated coral systems at 400 ppm Ca and alk above 10 to 11 without trying. System requires recharging with kalk (10 tablespoonsful) every 3 weeks or so for large systems.

With what you have, you might consider a 2 part additive instead like bionic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts