The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have upgraded to a 65g tank and have cycled it and added my corals from my previous tank and added my fish. I decided on the Maxspect Razor R420R LED Light Fixture, and so far love them. Was wondering if anyone else out there has experience with these lights and has any suggestions on settings. So far I have been using them just on preset 1, and wondering if there are better setting I could be setting them at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :goldfish: :mermaid:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have this light as well on my 65 gallon tank. I would not use the preset if i were you. The lights are pretty strong from my understanding and could bleach your corals. I only ramp all the way up to 75 and 75. . I cant remember my exact settings though.

I know i hit 75 75 at about 6 pm (lights turn on i believe at 8 am but slowly ramp up. ) then they hit moon lights at 1030 pm and turn off completely at 11 pm

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
i have the 160w one on my 125g tank
the lights start at 11 am with 10 for blue and zero for white
1 pm 25 blue and 10 white
3 pm 55 blue and 30 white
5 pm 70 blue and 50 white
7 pm 100 blue and 100 white
than they start to decrease till 12 at night:
moon light : o white and 2 blue

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the 160w one on my 125g tank
the lights start at 11 am with 10 for blue and zero for white
1 pm 25 blue and 10 white
3 pm 55 blue and 30 white
5 pm 70 blue and 50 white
7 pm 100 blue and 100 white
than they start to decrease till 12 at night:
moon light : o white and 2 blue
And what kind of tank do you have?

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have this light as well on my 65 gallon tank. I would not use the preset if i were you. The lights are pretty strong from my understanding and could bleach your corals. I only ramp all the way up to 75 and 75. . I cant remember my exact settings though.

I know i hit 75 75 at about 6 pm (lights turn on i believe at 8 am but slowly ramp up. ) then they hit moon lights at 1030 pm and turn off completely at 11 pm
What corals do you have?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mushroom ,brain , zoas, and leathers. I saw other people who had more Lps and sps say not to crank them all the way up.

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mushroom ,brain , zoas, and leathers. I saw other people who had more Lps and sps say not to crank them all the way up.
Good to know. I have;
Torch's,Mushrooms,rics,yuma's,zoa's,acan's, green & purple cloves,Goniopora, & rainbow montipora. So I'm trying to find levels that will please all.
:mermaid:

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Dannysgirl, I have the big 48" model over my 105. I started with them on preset also, but after 2 months I realized my coral were not as vibrant (mostly LPS). They are much, much brighter than they seem! I cranked everything down to 75% of the preset values and everything seems to be to be happier.

Great lights.

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dannysgirl, I have the big 48" model over my 105. I started with them on preset also, but after 2 months I realized my coral were not as vibrant (mostly LPS). They are much, much brighter than they seem! I cranked everything down to 75% of the preset values and everything seems to be to be happier.

Great lights.

Thank you will take your advice, and thank you for mentioning the Razor's to me in the first place great advice they work great with my tank. :lovebirds:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have 2, 160 watts over my 125, they ramp up to 100% blues and whites around noon, I have a tank full of nems, went from 2x250 MH to my razors, nems never blinked, but they were also 4 inches away from the MH> :

Please note there was a batch of bad drivers that over heated and caused some melting on top by the label, they took care of it right away

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
What pretty nems. I want mine to get long tentacles but they stay pretty short and bubbly like a flower.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Its hit and miss Helen, I been tracking their bubble time and conditions and still have no idea. They super bubbled on the light changed but then slowly settled in. I am starting to think it has to do with environmental changes, lots of new nem owners say their nem is all bubbled up but then a mother later, "what is wrong with my nem" I would like to think I kinda have good at keeping them, but whats makes them bubble is still a mystery

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holygrail your tank is really pretty. I want to get a rose bubble tip nem eventually, I have a rock flower nem at the moment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love the Maxspect Razor. I have the 60w 16,000k over my Biocube 29. The colors are great, it's cool & quiet and the programming is great! I just use the preset 2 program. Love it. I would post a picture but I'm too new here.

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love the Maxspect Razor. I have the 60w 16,000k over my Biocube 29. The colors are great, it's cool & quiet and the programming is great! I just use the preset 2 program. Love it. I would post a picture but I'm too new here.
But you can make photo albums on your profile page

·
Registered
8 Posts
But you can make photo albums on your profile page
Thanks for tip! Yeah...I'm new to forums but wanted to get involved and share my experience with this hobby. Been 7 years for me & a TON of $$$ experimenting with different equipment..lighting, tanks, sumps...everything. This light is the best I've had & wanted to share.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The maxspect is a sexy, clean looking light. It has 2 programable settings and a manual that you can program. It is a high end light, with a quality build and great customer support. There are a lot of quality lights out there, I personally have 2 Maxspect 160's over my 125 and my nems love them. But that doesn't mean they are the best. They are probability a little high priced, but I am a Mac person, so I am use to paying more for quality. You really have to look at your set uo and you budget and make a decision accordingly. I just have to say just because a light says reef/coral ready only means you can grow rooms under it. You have to look for 3 watt LEd's and preferably Cress's, but that is a preference. Don't spend $150 for one of the off the shelf reef ready fish store led's, you will only be spending that money again 6 months from now. Also don't crimp on the ramp up and ramp off feature, you will regret it later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
... I personally have 2 Maxspect 160's over my 125 and my nems love them. But that doesn't mean they are the best.
It is a great light. Please take note that I said it was the best light I have ever used. Just to be clear that I am not declaring one above all the rest since I know that we all have our preferences, budgets....ect.

I have only ever used PC's & Metal Halides in past set ups. This is my 1st LED fixture and I purchased it because my local fish store had one over a tank. Love at 1st sight. No regrets....yet!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts