The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am pretty set on buying the gyre xf150 for a new build i am doing. It will be a 140 gallon tank (60x20.5x27). I wanted to get feedback from those using it on what they are thinking about it. Also trying to determine if the one xf150 will be enough or will i need to look into getting 2? I hve heard alot of reviews say its powerfull and 1 will do it but just wanted some real feedback. thank you,

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have a 220g (72x24x31) 1 is NOT even close to enough however my tank is set up for SPS so I like LOTS of action. personally I dont much care for the gyre, I will be selling mine. It moves water nice however for a 300$ wavemaker I feel its overrated. It gets dirty quick and it loses a lot of power. I just dont care for it much. Id rater have 3x RW-20's for the same price that could all sync up.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that all you have in the 220 now, 1 xf150? that does seem like a lot of water for one of these to handle even though i know they claim its rated for higher. I wonder if the 1 would be fine for my 140 though. if not i could look into 2. It would either be the xf150 or ecotech mp40s for me but to get 2 mp40s would be expensive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the xf130 on my 75 and it works pretty good, I usually keep it at 3, or 4. Not sure what the speed is for that setting. I clean mine every two weeks just a quick rinse and get the algae off. Ill ramp it up right before water changes to kick up an detirus, but it keeps most stuff suspended in the water tell my overflow gets it. I am hoping they get an advanced controller soon, so I can hook up to the wifi and control it that way.

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Supposed to have one coming in today for my 180 (6'). We also have 4 koralia 750s, 1 1150 and an aqueon 1650 currently in the tank, for about 32x turnover rate.

I will be setting up the gyre this evening and rearranging my powerheads to test it out. I am looking for 0 dead spots in the tank and lots of surface agitating for my tangs.

Compared to some of the impellar type, laminar flow powerheads, I'm thinking this will move some water, however it's probably best to offset the directional flow with another, strong powerhead on the opposite the gyre for some really chaotic flow.

A member in my club has a 150 on his 300g BB SPS tank and he uses it at 100%, pulse 12 hours a day. I have read that controllers/controller compatibility will be on its way.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess i will start with one and see what i think. if i want more flow i will either add another to the other side or maybe pick up a used mp40 for the other side. I have 2 mp10s right now i considered keeping and putting both on the other side but i wasnt sure if they would do anything for this bigger tank?

·
Banned
945 Posts
Tagging along for the ride. Im curious how the largest Gyre will compare to the Vortech MP60 QD. This will be pretty useful for the new build :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Tagging along for the ride. Im curious how the largest Gyre will compare to the Vortech MP60 QD. This will be pretty useful for the new build :)
I don't have one but my guess it wont come close to a mp60. The one thing I have noticed is there are a lot of them in the classifieds on the boards.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know my LFS has been using one of the xf150. havent been in about a month so i need to swing by to see what they think about it so far. I was wondering if i did go with the xf150 should i keep my 2 mp10s and put both of them on the opposite side of the tank? Would both mp10s together help at all on a 140 gal tank? or maybe i could trade them for an mp40?
I am still doing research but i am either going with 1 or 2 gyre(or mix 1 with my 2 mp10s or 1 mp40), or 2 mp40s.
What do you think?
Anymore gyre feedback?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
is that all you have in the 220 now, 1 xf150? that does seem like a lot of water for one of these to handle even though i know they claim its rated for higher. I wonder if the 1 would be fine for my 140 though. if not i could look into 2. It would either be the xf150 or ecotech mp40s for me but to get 2 mp40s would be expensive.
no i run 2 WP-40s right now and will be replcaeing the 2 wp40s and running the gyre maybe and 4 rw-20s

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
So I didn't get it setup yesterday but I'll be looking to today. I still need to rearrange my sump to add my new skimmer. Gotta see if I can get it all done.

Just a side note, I've never used Vortechs/Jebaos etc. only koralias. So I may be more impressed than others :funny:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have been getting some other feedback that these work much better with 2 (one on each end of the tank) and they are suppose to have an update coming out soon to allow them to work with the apex.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
i have been getting some other feedback that these work much better with 2 (one on each end of the tank) and they are suppose to have an update coming out soon to allow them to work with the apex.
That would be really nice! That's why I went with the Tunze, plugs right into the Apex and does not need a special modual, or the wave controller.

Whiskey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts