The Reef Tank banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a maxima clam for my nano (11 gal. viaaqua) I have a 96 watt quad over the tank. I have done alot of research and everyone says you need MH lights to keep a healthy clam. Is this true? Do I need to take it back and get a Squamosa? Thanks in advance for ya'lls advice here. JB

·
Registered
151 Posts
JB,
I'm in Marietta as well. I sent you a reply to your question on the Clams Direct Forum. If you want me to stop by on the weekend some time to check out the tank/clam send me a PM.
AlienDomain

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maxima's will reach 18" in lenght, yes I have seen some grown that large, Ryan Gent in Washinton had one. It'll outgrow a nano quick, if you dont see nice white fresh shell growth at all times, it's going to die, they must have new shell going down, or they get algae infections.

>I have done alot of research and everyone says you need MH lights to keep a healthy clam. Is this true?

Yes, it's true, that's why everyone says that

·
Registered
260 Posts
I keep a derasa under 2 55 watt PC for a while. I di not see much growth until I added MH.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have just purchased a maxima clam for my nano (11 gal. viaaqua) I have a 96 watt quad over the tank. I have done alot of research and everyone says you need MH lights to keep a healthy clam. Is this true?
:bigeek: :bigeek:

Why on earth would you do the research, find the answer in many places and ignore it? This confuses me ...I mean it REALLY confuses me.

IT'S AN ANIMAL, depending on you to take care of it, give it what it needs, and you just choose to ignore what everyone told you.

Unbelieveable...sorry to sound mean and nasty, but isn't that what you did to the clam? You didn't care how many experts told you what it needed, you read it , you decided it was wrong, went and purchased the animal and give it less than what it needs....OMG

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lise,

Please do not hold back on how you feel!

JB,

There is a lot of info out there on clams. Check some of the other BB's as well as TRT. Maxima or a Squamosa both could be a wash in you tank. The closer to the light the better. Is the total watts 96? If so I would make sure that is placed in the center and as close to the light source as possible. Most clams get there nutrition from zooxanthellea. Calcium is very important to clams as you may guess. Strontium, and Iodide are important for growth and color.

I will have to agree with everyone, that there is so much info available to us that there is not an excuse to do some research before we buy.

Good luck.

Doug

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yup, thought you where going to drag him to the wood shed! ;)

Doug

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
well first of all welcome to TRT :dance:

this really IS the nicest place on the net :)

but i would agree. i'm confused on why you did the research, and then ignored it. you get 2 points for doing the research first. you lose three points for ignoring the research.

unfortunately, i HOPE the three points is all you lose, and not the clam. i would immediatley do some more research, and either accomodate the clams needs, like getting a bigger tank, or at least more lighting.. or return the clam. i'd hate to see you lose it. for your sake, and for the clam's sake.

the clam forum is a good place to get some good info... but this time follow it :D

don't worry too much about the spanking.. we ALL get one at one point or another... it comes with learning all you can.. jsut look at it like everyon is trying to help you succeed in this hobby, and have a happy tank. kinda like when our parents told us how bad it was to stay out late and get drunk at parties... we hated them for it.. but it was for our own good :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK well i guess i'll respond.... My LFS guy (who you all know and respect) told me it would be FINE under 96 watts. I've also up'd the wattage to 132 watts for the time being and have ordered a MH 150 watt PFO from marine depot. Squid, don't give me that BS about being kind to animals (ESPECIALLY if you own a pet store) the LFS i used is much nicer than yours and, in fact, much kinder to it's creatures... maybe you could take some pointers yourself. I've spent more than $350 on this **** clam so don't tell me about being responsible to my little guy. Thanks for the "useful" comments. I'll know better next time to ask this board a question that might involve changing the rules of the internet gods. Maybe those of you who are slaves to internet info need to get out and live alittle. JB

·
Registered
260 Posts
JB,

Hey, if your going to open up a thread such as you did your going to get blasted and that does not matter on what BB. Like all SW animals clams can be tricky and sometimes more demanding.

In a 11 gallon tank your clam should be okay. I had mine under 12 x 55 PC's in a taller tank had it did okay.

Maybe those of you who are slaves to internet info need to get out and live alittle.
:(

Doug

·
Registered
585 Posts
JB, I was a little out of line.

I did get emotional about the thread. I do not, did not and will not bash stores. I never made mention as to where you purchased or the person you purchased it from. Not my style.

As others have said, both before me and after me, we just didn't understand why you would do the research and ignore it.

So, I am sorry I went off on you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My main point to you people who are getting snotty (seems to be appropriate word considering my avantar) is that i didn't do the research b/f i bought the maxima. I did it after i bought it. This was after i was advised that it was ok by the reputable LFS. So stop asking why someone would research something and then go against the recommedations because that is not the case here. I was given what seemed to be very credible info and i bought it and then began to research. I don't want to get into it anymore but maybe you guys should back off alittle and abide by the golden rule which says: If you don't have anything helpful to say.... don't say anything at all. JB

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
OK people, I have just about seen enough....so move along...nothing to gain from bashing Jaimbo.

Jaimbo, for future reference, What you see is what you get on posts. I reread your post and anyone could infer that you did the research and then bought the maxima anyway. It was never said, I bought the maxima and then did the research. So take that for what it is....and learn that you are dealing with a one dimensional arena where people read between the lines...good or bad or they read very literally and don't infer anything and take it as gospel.

Happy Reefing....Let us know when you get the MH and how the clam is doing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.