The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
11,973 Posts
From what I understand the Sureflow mod for the MJ1200 is supposed to boost it to 1600 gph. However, there is supposed to be another impeller you can use that will get it up to 2100 gph. I do not have any personal experience with the mod kits though.

From what I have seen, this looks like the cheapest way to go as well.

Scott, where would he get a mod kit that could push that kind of flow?

· originally original
990 Posts
The EcoMod kit is supposedly superior to the SureFlow kit. There is a member on here who posted a review on his EcoMod MJ1200's, I can't remember who it is.

I'll let you guys know in a couple days when I install mine.

· Registered
8,356 Posts
EcoMod kit is absolutely inferior to the SureFlow kit. All 4 of the Ecomods I had failed over just a few months period. The Sureflow kits I replaced them with have held up for over 2 years.

In a side by side comparison, you can feel the difference in quality. The Ecomod uses much thinner plastic in the housing and propellers. The 2100 gph prop which comes with the Sureflow kit is a major bonus as well.

Like any powerhead, routine cleanings will keep them running smooth and noise free.

· Registered
969 Posts
From what I understand the Sureflow mod for the MJ1200 is supposed to boost it to 1600 gph. However, there is supposed to be another impeller you can use that will get it up to 2100 gph. I do not have any personal experience with the mod kits though.

From what I have seen, this looks like the cheapest way to go as well.

Scott, where would he get a mod kit that could push that kind of flow?
You have to mount a 427 shelby to it, but it works.

· Registered
8,356 Posts
Just shot some photos of the props, you be the judge of the kit's quality.

Ecomod (left), Sureflow 1600(center), Sureflow 2100 (right).

Ecomod prop on edge, super thin plastic. You can see where I had to glue the prop back to the shaft also. Notice the funky stopper design which works better in theory than it does in actual longterm use. You can also forget about using wavemakers. One of my Ecomods failed in the first day on a Redsea wavemaker. The prop shattered into pieces even though it doesn't use an actual stopper to reverse the prop. The force of switching on/off repeatedly was enough to destroy it without any physical contact.

· Premium Member
6,790 Posts
The EcoMod kit is supposedly superior to the SureFlow kit. There is a member on here who posted a review on his EcoMod MJ1200's, I can't remember who it is.

I'll let you guys know in a couple days when I install mine.
It was me and it was without a doubt a better mod.
almost 3000gph modded. It does not come with any mounts but I have 2 glued to a old mag float cleaner and the are ON A WAVE MAKER AND SILENT. 20 mins on 10 mins off off at night all together and still silent after 5 months!

· Premium Member
6,790 Posts
EcoMod kit is absolutely inferior to the SureFlow kit. All 4 of the Ecomods I had failed over just a few months period. The Sureflow kits I replaced them with have held up for over 2 years.

In a side by side comparison, you can feel the difference in quality. The Ecomod uses much thinner plastic in the housing and propellers. The 2100 gph prop which comes with the Sureflow kit is a major bonus as well.

Like any powerhead, routine cleanings will keep them running smooth and noise free.
Maybe 2 years ago...
I have had both in the last 6 months and the sureflow was a noisy clunky mod. the eco mod increases flow 10X stock MJ1200 is 295gpg. modded it's almost 3000

· originally original
990 Posts
I know there is a small Ecomod kit for the 600,900, and 1200, and a big one for the 1200. Maybe Jadi used the small eco kit.

· Premium Member
6,790 Posts
I know there is a small Ecomod kit for the 600,900, and 1200, and a big one for the 1200. Maybe Jadi used the small eco kit.
there is only one ecomod kit it fits all MJ pumps.
It simply increases flow 10X

· Mommy Mod
10,257 Posts
Chris did you ever try running the sureflow mods on a wavemaker?

I moded mine about 9 months or so ago with the sureflow, but I don't have a lot of experience with any other pumps. So all I can say is they seem to move a lot more water than the regular maxi jets.

as to being loud- Mine are only loud if they start up wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.